Oneshot: A boy like him

( **tips fedora** Modern'ly

I'm sorry for that)

A boy like him would never like a girl like you. Even when he bumped into your arm, that's probably accidental, wasn't it? 

A boy who plays the guitar would never like a girl who plays the piano. But that's just your role in life. 

Maven Calore. You learned his name over a span of a month. 

A boy with a name like that can't love a girl with a name like yours.

A boy who stares intensely at his music sheet would never love a girl who doesn't even bother to open the book.

A boy who is always out of tune with his playing could never love a girl who's always on time.

A boy who talks out of turn could never love a girl who sits in the back on her phone.

Maven Calore could never love you.

That's what you believed.

That's what you told yourself.

A boy like him who makes eye contact with you probably twice a week. And during those times you wonder if he starts to hate you more and more because of it. He hates you, doesn't he? He probably despises you.

A boy like him probably prefers dogs over cats. 

A boy like him probably plays sports in his free time. Actually, you know that for a fact. You watch him play soccer after school. You swear you watch it for the game. Sometimes he kicks the ball in the middle of the air. It's so cool. Is he having fun? Does he know you're there?

"Come on, (Y/N), stop writing in that little diary and face reality," Ada whispers in your ear before taking the book and closing it before putting it back at your desk. You sigh. Don't be so annoying and let me be angsty, you want to say to her. Ada's eyes go back to Maven, making sure he isn't staring at you again. He tends to do that a lot. It's quite worrying. Children are ubiquitous in the gym today. It's raining outside so all the students are playing in the gym today. So that means Maven is in view every second of the period. Quite distracting if you ask me. 

Maven talks to his friends, all the way across the gym. You just sit on the bleachers with your little circle as you all watch him silently. Whenever you're in an awkward situation your first reaction is to whip out a notebook and anxiously write in it. Now that Ada has strictly said no you have nothing to do now. You try not to gaze at Maven, you try not to seem creepy and stalkerish.

This fails.

It's only a couple glances per second. You seem chill about it. You wonder if he notices.

Apparently, he did. And apparently, he didn't feel bad about it. He actually thought it was interesting. It made him fluster up. He's cute like that. 

You seek out your aeonian punishment as you notice Maven walking towards you. Ada seems to notice before you do, smacking you and making you look up. 

You try not to make eye contact with him as he slowly approaches. Dear god, what does he want? Is he here to yell at you? Accuse you of stalking him? Now he hates you for good. Damn, you ruined it. Your aeviternal angst is floating from your brain to your head as you want to hide away. 

"Hi," Maven greets as he sits next to you. You get all flustered but you try to hide it.

"Uhm, hi." You whispered back.

"Would you like to hang out with us doing lunch?" Ada bumps in to calmly offer. Maven smiles at her. Your heart starts hurting, a feeling aching inside. Something like a desire to kill. Something like jealousy. Something like fire, burning you from the inside. You blink. Woah, that feeling was odd. You've never felt that before. That was scary.

"That sounds like fun." Maven smirks as he looks back at you. Your face is almost completely red. You never thought this would happen to you. A boy like Maven would never love somebody like you... right?