Songfic: 8/31

"Hey, how old are you now?" Everybody asks you. You never answer, today isn't your day. You share the same birthday as Maven Calore, the prince. As somebody who works in the same castle, you find yourself unimportant compared to him. Of course, Maven knows it's your birthday. You don't have anything to confirm your thought on how but... you have some speculations about Elara.

How long have you lived this life of yours?

Every year you live through a quiet birthday as you can hear the cheers of Cal as he celebrates with his brother. You're forced to pretend it's another day. Some of the other servants wish you small words, asking how old you are. But that's it.

Parts of you I know well and even those I don't,

Maven watches you when you walk by. Today you're particularly gloomy. He feels a bit bad for you, he can understand how much you want a birthday. 

Today is the day to celebrate them equally

Maven orders you to come to his room, selecting you out of everyone else. You wonder why he wants somebody like you, is it something concerning this special day?

When you walk into the room you're greeted by a sight you expected.

Happy birthday

There's a banner, it congratulates him on being born. You expected this and thought nothing of it. You look at Maven, who's sitting next to his bed with something in his hand. A cupcake. Somebody must have given it to him.

"I know it's your birthday today," he starts, "and I wanted to do something since I don't think anybody else has." He says. He's a prince, a young one at that. You never expected him to be so kind. You thought he was like his mother.

I'm so grateful to this world you are apart of

"This is for you," he stands up and holds out the cupcake to you. As a servant, your first reaction is to grab it from him. You do that before you can even react. Should you say something? You're not supposed to. Will he get offset?

Continuing to pile love on top of love

"Thank you," you say, still surprised. You can't believe this is happening. You finally get the birthday you want. This is more than enough, especially from a prince.

They've always loved you and will keep loving you forevermore

When you look at Maven again, something in you changes. Your heart starts to quicken. He gives you a sympathetic smile, "you're welcome."