Songfic: It's Over, Isn't It

I was fine with the men

You hold onto Iris's hand, dragging her back away from the crowd. She lets you. You were born and raised in the glooms of Lakelands. You know the thoughts of the men when they see Iris, you know how they crave her. Iris and you have been with each other since she found you all by yourself in the mud. She helped you grow. And now you stand by her side. You can stand on your own. 

Iris is in her usual princess attire. Her dress flows like water, reaching the floor like magic. You wear something more futuristic. Over exaggerated shoulder pads, many shades of blue. The typical design you've grown to love. 

Who would come into her life now and again

You made it your job to shield Iris from the toxic people in the world. You wanted her to be all yours. Everything is fine, Iris is yours and she would never leave you. That's what you thought.

I was fine, cause I knew

Most days men would come and ask to be Iris's spouse. They would be turned down. You liked it that way. It was later a moment came that made your heart stop. You hated the scene already. Iris wouldn't tell you why this guest was so important. She probably didn't want you to blow up. 

You stood by her side, her beautiful figure keeping you safe.

That they didn't really matter until you

The king you saw walking through the doors was somebody you'd never even imagine. His form was different than the other boys. He looks like he was born a king. Just by the sight of his walk made you straighten yourself. The crown on his head versus the long cape drawing down was so formal compared to you. You felt downgraded. You've never felt this way. The sight of him made you overzealous.

He is different, definitely. His blue eyes are focused only on their target. This is a king. A Calore. You can feel his warmth from where you stand. You lightly turn your head to Iris. She looks at him, knowing something you don't. You squirm in your place. Something doesn't feel right. 

This man stirs something inside of you, something more powerful than what you feel towards Iris. You can't keep your eyes off of him.

I was fine when you came

The thought of Iris marrying a man like that makes you lightheaded. Two of the most beautiful people you've ever met coming together to rule. The thought of Iris as a queen in a kingdom you couldn't go to. You don't want her to leave. She's the only reason you're like this, fancy and rich. If she goes away...

Once Maven leaves, you grab her hand. She turns to you. With her other hand, she grabs your other hand. She holds them tightly. She's smiling.

"Trust me," is all she says.

And we fought like it was all some silly game

And later, 

"you can't take her," you said to Maven as you passed him walking. You didn't give him a chance to react or respond to you just stood by Iris's side. Maven looks at you with a blank expression. And then he smiles. Your heart skips a beat. He's irresistible. You hate it. He's controlling your heart somehow. The way his lips curl up as he tilts his head is just unfair. You scoff, going into a pout. Iris places her hand on your own. You can't believe she's even considering this 'opportunity.' 

Over her, who she'd choose

After all those years, I never thought I'd lose

"You'll come with me, it'll be okay," Iris reassures you. You hold her hand tightly. You don't ever want to let go. You can't believe it's come to this. Years and years of denying people. Suddenly this man gets put into the scene, winning what you've fought for. It's unfair, truly.

Why doesn't it hurt as bad as you'd think? If you imagine watching Iris getting married to a man you feel despair, hurt. Why don't you feel that now? Is this different? Is it because of Maven? Are you jealous of Iris? Or happy? Or sad? What do you feel?

It's over, isn't it?

Pathetic. This is so pathetic. Your life is over now. You don't want to go to Norta. You want to stay in Lakelands with Iris. But... another part of you wants to leave Iris and go with Maven. What's wrong with you? This shouldn't be allowed. You can't feel this way. Iris is the light of your life, you can't deny her like this. 

You'll go to Norta with her, you will. You'll watch the wedding. You'll feel... jealous? Is that how you'll end?

You won, and she chose you

Watching Iris leave is a lot harder than you originally thought. She looks beautiful always, but next to Maven, she really shines. She waves to you. It's a small wave. You can't find yourself waving back. You just give a small smile and turn away. Yes, this is how you'll end. With Iris belonging to somebody else. Iris belonging to somebody... somebody better. Better than both of you combined. It's only fair like that. 

It's over, isn't it?

Why can't I move on?

It's not the end of the world. If you choose to stay in Norta then you'll see both of them every day. But... finding somebody else in replace for your beautiful Iris is impossible. Now, in Norta, you're just one half. You're missing a heart. A heart that Iris still holds.

But why even get married to somebody like him?

War and glory, reinvention

Of course, both kingdoms will advance in soldiers and armies. That's not to deny. It will benefit both parties. If Iris married somebody like you... nothing would be to benefit. You need to remember that she doesn't love him. You need to remember that this is just beneficial. She doesn't want him and he doesn't want her... you hope.

Out in daylight, my potential

Norta is way dryer than Lakelands. You got a nosebleed once you started walking in the sun. The land has trees, but not the kind you're familiar with. It's very different. You hate it. Why can't Iris be with you? She'd make you feel better? Her strong form and fashionable face would bring you glee. But she's gone now, nothing can matter.

Who am I know in this world without her?

It's a lot duller. You don't know if that's the environment, or just you. Are you eyes starting to fail? Why are your arms getting heavier? You don't feel comfortable here, the land is too dark. It's not something you can get used to. Not without Iris. 

This land gives you the same feel as you got when you first saw Maven. The dullness, the confusion. Why is this so different? 

You feel a hand on your shoulder.

It's over, isn't it?

Why can't I move on

When you turn around, there's Maven. He saw you starring off into the distance, standing alone. You two make eye contact. It's a thought you both have, 'Iris is yours.'