The Flower We Saw That Day: I Wonder

((N/N) = Nickname)

I wonder

Everybody in the group is walking to your house, going to talk to your mother again. They have come up with a plan. You have always wanted to see a firework show. So, they want to make fireworks and send them up. But they need to the authority of an adult. Your father refused, so they want to go to your mother.

We're going to their house without permission again, Maven thinks to himself. He looks down. 

They all sit in your house, your mother cleaning up as she talks to them.

"So, fireworks, huh? I was so interested when my husband told me about it," she said. Maven and Kilorn look at each other, stiffing. "You guys come up with really good ideas when you work together," she admits.

"(N/N) always said that working together was better than working alone!" Kilorn exclaimed. Your mom tensed. Iris noticed it right away. 

"(Y/N) said that?" Your mom replied, looking down. 

"Uh, yeah. We wanted to help make (Y/N) happy, so we decided to--" Your mom cut Mare off.

"You guys get along so well, don't you?!" She said loudly, "(Y/N) must be so jealous. Getting kicked out of a group like this. You all are just using (Y/N)'s name for yourselves, using it as an excuse to have fun!"

"No, (Y/N)-" Samson started.

"(Y/N) (L/N) is gone. All of you are going on as if nothing has changed." Your mom interrupted. Maven stood up, "we are sorry to bother you. We will go now."

"(Y/N) mom was scary in there," Kilorn says. You guys are sitting on the steps of a church, sitting quietly.

"Yes," Iris whispers, "I wonder if she's resented us the entire time?" She seemed deep in thought, almost trapped in that moment.

"Let's forget about it," Samson intrudes. Maven looks at him. "Let's forget all this nonsense about (Y/N)'s wish," he finishes. 

"Maven is just pushing his pain onto us," Mare says, her eyes on the ground. Maven's eyes widen. "You're hurting everyone, even (Y/N)'s mom," Mare explains, clenching her fists.

"The diary?" Mare whispered. They all were in the secret base, yelling at Maven about claiming to see you in there. But as Samson gripped onto his collar, your childhood diary fell off of the table with no breeze. Kilorn was the one to pick it up. Samson was glaring into Maven's eyes, listening as Kilorn read it out loud.

""I played with everyone today in the secret base. They've gotten so big! You mustn't fight. The Super Peace Busters are forever"." Kilorn's voice drops. Samson drops Maven, turning to see the diary for himself. The entire time, Maven stared at you as you smiled from across the room. In the moment, he couldn't smile back. But he wishes he would.

"Is this really (Y/N)?" Samson asks. Everyone is quiet, reading the passage for themselves. 

Maven answers truthfully, "yes."