Songfic: Ocean Eyes

(I don't know why I love writing about Maven being a teenager, it's weird how in my eyes when he was a teen he was a smol child aaaAAA

WARNING: THIS IS SAD AS FUCK AND I'M LITERALLY ABOUT TO CRY WRITING THIS HOLY SHIT--)

I've been watching you

For some time

Beyond the creepiness you give off, and beyond the multiple times he's caught you staring at him, he's still found a reason to love you. Maven has never been the most noticeable person, but you make him feel like the sun. Behind Cal all of the time, Maven has never gotten his own attention from an eye that meant importance to him. His mother used to be the only one by his side. And now, he has you.

"Kitty cat," you whisper as you lift the creature up to Maven's face. You are a person of minimal words, only speaking at least two words a day. All of your expressions come from your eyes, expressing everything words can't.

Can't stop staring at those oceans eyes

"He's cute," Maven admits as he touches the paw of the wild creature. The cat blinks as it looks at Maven, drooping from your arms. You nod, putting the cat on your chest before you can touch it. Unlike what his entire house would expect, he's fallen in love with a tiny red girl. You're just a commoner, unknowingly winning the heart of a prince. Maven was surprised when he found out you were his age, your father a famous trader in the small red town.

You turn your back, leading Maven into the back alley you consider to be your home. You do have a house with a roof, of course, but this place is most comfortable for you. You sit down, and Maven sits down next to you. The cat senses Maven's warmth and crawls onto his lap. Maven looks at you, and you look at him. His blue eyes make you smile. He truly is a beautiful person, somebody you've never seen before. His skin, the fairest you've ever seen, is so smooth and soft compares to yours. He looks like a god to you.

Burning cities and napalm skies

Maven doesn't lay a hand on the cat, too scared that he'll accidentally burn the small creature. The cat doesn't care as it rests itself on Maven's chest. Maven lowers his breathing, and stiffs when he feels you lean your head against him. You put your hands on his bicep, bring his arm closer for you to cuddle. His napalm fingers brush against the skin of your thigh, but you give no reaction.

No fair

The sun misses the alley you and Maven hide, but he does take notice of how far down the sun has gotten. He wiggles, signaling you that he needs to go. You move to a squatting position, placing a hand on his leg.

"Stay," you plead with a despair-filled voice. His heart fought against his brain as he refuses to make eye contact with you, knowing if he did, he would stay. Maven helps the cat off of his body as he stands up. You stay squatted, looking up at him. Maven says a goodbye before heading off, knowing he'll meet you the next day.

I've never fallen from quite this high

You provoke something inside of Maven, something emotional and deep. Something he wants to feel forever, something he can't help but value. As he walks home, he feels like he's floating. It feels like he isn't in his own body, like part of him is left in the small red town while the small cat and the small girl.

He left her lonely with a diamond mind

At night, you blink tears into your eyes. You sit lonely on your wooden chair as you tie a ribbon around your cat's neck. The ribbon has a note you wrote yourself. You wanted to tell Maven, you wanted to say something, but you couldn't bring yourself to speak. You never can. So, throughout the rest of the night, you sleep with red blood wrapped around your heart. You know you have to wake up early in the morning.

I'm scared

The next day, Maven happily walks into the village. He misses the feeling he gets whenever he sees you, and he can't wait to feel it again. His eyes travel familiar walls and familiar secret passages, but he can't find you. Your father, sitting alone at his stand, isn't as jolly as he tends to be. Everybody walks by him, not bothering to ask. But Maven walks up with concern layered on his face.

"Where is (Y/N)?" Maven asks, making eye contact with your father.

Those ocean eyes

Maven's eyes, filled with gloom and worry, fill your father with even more despair. Such a young lad caring about his daughter brings even more pain to his heart. Your dad rubs his hands, grumbling something.

"I'm sorry son but (Y/N)... got conscripted. I can't say it was her own choice..." Your father huffs out, shoulders shaking. Maven's eyes widen. He shakes his head, his hands going to his hair. This can't be real. Nothing in his mind would have predicted this. 

You really know how to make me cry

Maven calmly collects himself, wishing his soon-to-be condolences to your father before sulking into your back alley. He leans against the wall, sliding down. No part of him has hope for you. A quiet girl like you wouldn't stand a chance in the smokey, war-hungry strip of land. Anguish hits Maven as he pulls on his hair, crying into his knees. Emotions overwhelmed him. Emotions he never wants to feel again. Emotions he wants to remove.

I've never fallen from quite this high

"Meow," the sound of your cat makes him look up. His red, puffy ocean eyes spot the kitty walking towards him. Maven rubs his hand through the fur, enjoying the texture of all he has left of you through his fingers. Then, he noticed the paper. The loosely wrapped ribbon is easy to spot, and easy to untie. As Maven reads the letter, his heart breaks more than he thought it could.

"I am gone now. But you can't be sad, okay? My kitty will keep you company until I come back, I promise. Goodbye, my pretty friend <3." 

Maven holds the cat, cuddling it close. He rocks back and forth, trying to breathe air in a world without you in it. Maven swears on his life that one day, he will end the war. He never wants another person to feel what he's feeling today. No matter what it takes, he'll make sure to end all misery, starting with his own.

(Good news: Maven keeps the cat and treats it well!!!! Iris loves the kitty cat, and Samson always says it follows it!!!! The cat loves Maven and also loves the outdoors!!!!)