One Shot: Kicking Rocks

(Again, pronouns; hard

Also, modern if you want it to be)

Maven ignores the problem that has occurred suddenly. Evangeline has returned to school, and she seems to be friends with Cal more than she was before. Evangeline has always made life hard for Maven. He can just imagine them having a tea party and complaining about degenerate people like him. He opens his phone, stivering out of the school's bathroom. It's 12:05 now. Is he late for class? Ding dong, ding dong. The school's bell rings out as confirmation. Yes, he is late. Luckily, the classroom is just a couple of steps away anyways. Tossing a stick of gum into his mouth, he begins heading that way.

It wasn't until he heard familiar chatter is when he stops. A sudden feeling comes over him. It's like the feeling human bodies get when they know something bad is going to happen. He swallows down the fears as he turns the corner. Standing in front of the classroom are two students he tries to avoid, Evangeline and you. Almost waiting for him. When you see him you have to look twice to make sure he's real. The guy you like - Maven - is standing right over there. It's insane, isn't it? It's almost like he's going to talk to you.

"What are you doing sneaking up on two beautiful ladies like that?" You joke with your hand on your chest. When Evangeline hears this she turns around and smiles at Maven.

"You should know better Mavey, but it's not like a man like you can scare anyways," Evangeline adds on. Maven feels his heart drop for a second. Why are you even here? Shouldn't you be in your class?

"Why are you outside of my classroom?" Maven asks as he steps up to them. You grunt as you turn away. Evangeline looks at her before looking back to him. She licks her lips.

"We were waiting for you." She confesses half-jokingly. Maven can't tell if she's serious or not. He can never tell, honestly. Just the way she always looks at him makes his skin crawl.

"Is this true?" He aims his voice at you. You look back at him. After a moment of eye contact, you nod, not saying anything. You almost look flustered.

"Okay then, why?" He keeps questioning them. Evangeline grabs his hand in a quick movement, dragging him past the door.

"We just wanted to hang out with you, Maven." You let out after a shaky breath. Bite me, he thought. 

"(Y/N) says she feels connected to you so I felt like I should have done something about it," Evangeline whispers at him, keeping her eyes on you. You heard. You snap your head back and glares at Evangeline.

"You felt a connection to me?" Maven says before he can think it through. He almost winces at the bright smile Evangeline grows. You shake your head at yourself before walking faster in front. You're clearly distressed. Once Maven sees you're not in earshot he turns to Evangeline. He frowns at her.

"Nice going," He whisper-yells to her. She only clicks her tongue in that specific way and shakes her head.

"You know I had to," her voice is so quiet he almost feel like she wasn't whispering, "it's the only way to get a reaction from her." In moments like this Evangeline almost feels human. She shows emotions in her eyes as she makes eye contact with Maven. It's emotion that only he gets to see.

The sound of your footsteps makes the moment burn. He turns away from Evangeline. She tosses a strand of her hair behind her shoulders as a way of showing how powerful she was. Whatever that means.

"You seem mad. You aren't mad, are you?" Evangeline teases. Her voice sounds like raining glass, cutting him as she talks. Sometimes he's too scared to reply to her, too scared she'll claw his eyes out. Now's not one of those times.

"I don't think you should force her to talk to me," he says, noticing how she was still holding his hand. He moves away from her. "Where are you leading me anyways," He asks.

"Outside." She looks at him, "surely you've been there before."

"Do you want me to give you guys some privacy? I can leave if you want me to?" You exclaim from ahead of them, turning around and extending her arms. As they both stared at you you quickly let them both fall to your side again.

"Sorry," he whispers so nobody can hear as he jogs up to you. He can feel Evangeline's eyes on him. He doesn't look back. You look at him for a second before continuing to walk. You ram your shoulders into double doors as you open them, not doing as he thought as you refused to hold them for him. He walks outside with you, glancing back to Evangeline. Gone.

"Evangeline left," he calls out to you. You kick a rock to his words, "I know," you admit.

"That was kinda the plan." You shrug as you talk. He lets out a simple ah before letting the door to close on its own. Outside is cold but not cold enough to make somebody shiver. You continue kicking rocks as you continue walking farther and farther away from school. 

"Come on, princess, we don't have all day." You tease as you turn back to him. You look beautiful as you smile, whipping your hair. Maven blushes as he nods to you, picking up a rock before tossing it your way. You giggle the same giggle he's used to as you mimic his actions. The rock hits the top of his boot, not hurting in the slightest but still a chance to humor the thought. Maven runs at you, you catching the hint as you begin running away. The cold wind on his face makes him exhale quickly, his eyes squinting to stare at you. Somehow, he runs way faster than you. Catching you is easy as he grabs your waist, lifting you in the air. You giggle, kicking your legs. He spins you around. You're so beautiful. Maven cherishes this moment. He will cherish it forever. When he puts you down you turn to him, a big smile on your face.

Maven's hair falls onto his face as his lips part, him breathing heavily. His eyes look down at you as you put your hands on his chest. You get on your toes. The moment is suddenly bare and realistic. You close your eyes as you place his lips on yours. Maven wraps his arms around you as he pulls you close. uwu