Songfic: Servant of Evil (2/2)

(I almost cried twice writing this even though it's not that sad bro

MAVEN'S POV)

O my Queen, you have me as your faithful servant alone

On your first introduction as queen, you made me bow down and kiss your hand. I made eye contact with you the entire time. From the moment he first saw you, he knew he loved you. He didn't care that you considered evil. Other people didn't see you like he did. He wonders what it would be like if he was in your place. His parents dying, him forced to take the throne. Nothing would be easy. He doesn't blame you for anything that's happening. You're still a child. And so is he. 

O my Queen, to shield thee from danger's deadly call 

I will sin, I will kill, I will sacrifice my all

I made it my life's duty to protect you from the world. Anybody I even considered to be a threat, I didn't tell you about their request for a meeting. I didn't want you to hang out with my brother. I didn't want you to hang out with anybody. I just wanted you for me.

Even though I hate wearing this red vest every day, I wonder if it means anything to you. If only you knew what I was capable of. I may be a red, but I can do things you can't imagine any red doing. Would you want to hear about? Would you even care?

While running errands in a peaceful town nearby

You always asked me to follow you to the nearby village I was raised in. I get to visit my brother, a good part of the visits. But something bad them better. I met somebody there while you were getting lead around by Cal. I met a girl. A beautiful, small girl with the most charming smile. Mare. Something inside of me moved when I saw her. Did I love her? No... it's different than love. I know love. Because I love you. But what I feel about her is... different. How is it different? 

But no matter what I'm feeling, I'm happy that Cal found somebody to make him happy. Even if the fireworks will light off without me, I'm happy for him. Because that's all I can feel.

For the Queen gave orders, "The girl must die"

I remember holding your hand moments before it happened. I knew you loved Cal. I could read it in your eyes. Do you know how they felt? But I love you, I'll do anything for you. You squeezed my hand tightly, telling me to make sure she didn't make it out alive. Is it so bad that I listened? I ran out of the room and got what I needed before hurrying to the red's town. Heading to my town. 

I don't know why I did it. I could have faked it. I could have done something else. Is it so bad that I love you? I love you more I loved her. Because it's different. God, I wished it was different.

I will answer her wishes, her mind I will ease

Why was it so easy? I found her by herself, standing alone in a cemetery. And she saw me. She stood next to me, seeming to know her fate. Did she accept it? But she stood quietly with the wind of the sea as she told me about her father, and his grave that we stood in front of. 

I remember when it happened, too. I turned to face her. She turned to face me. She didn't smile, she didn't frown. But her mouth parted as she told me, "tell Cal that I love him." Why didn't she fight? What did she feel? Was it me? Would I be different if it was somebody else? But I drew my dagger any other way as I pressed it into her stomach. She placed her hands on my shoulders, accepting her fate with a grimace on her face. 

So why, my Lord, do my tears fail to cease?

I still can't believe that I cried. I hugged Mare close to me, and she started to smile as she hugged back. She coughed blood onto my coat as her warm innards poured onto my hand. And then she collapsed into my grasps, her head leaned back as I supported her. Why did it have to happen this way? Through all of my emotions and my grief, I cried, not wanting to let her go.