Songfic: Dream

(I'm going something special for the 200th fic, which this one is the 196 so watch out)

Living the dream 

Watching classics being sung

You hate walking around in the garden without Maven by your side. It only reminds you of how empty you feel in your moments. From when you were first a princess, your insomniac tendencies left you sitting in the garden all night. You'd watch the bugs crawling on your skin, too stuck in a dream to knock them off. Sometimes, Maven doesn't want you to sleep in his room with him. He's scared you'll make him dream again. That's your ability, controlling traveling dreams. 

You can't sleep yourself unless it's through somebody else. And sometimes, if you're lucky enough, you get the dreams of an old soul. They dream of their happiest memories, like a dance ball or the moment they met the love of their life. It is fun to watch, and something that you can barely find.

Living the dream 

As my heart comes undone

And sleeping with Maven is the best moment you'll ever get. Of course, you promise him you won't make him dream, so you just hold him tight and watch his face as he sleeps. You don't know why he's so scared of his own mind. Is it because you can travel his memories, making him see what you do? Is he scared of what you will find? What is so wrong with that?

And in those small moments, you do manage to go into his mind. It doesn't last long, though, before he wakes up and grabs your wrist. The sleep doesn't even get to leave his eyes before he glares at you, warning you before kicking you out for a day. It's almost like getting a timeout. You think it's stupid. He's so childish. Nothing can be so scary about his past, you don't think. He's only a king, and you're only a queen. There's nothing better about both of you. 

Living the dream 

With bubble pop lies to beautiful skies oh

"And when we get older," you mumble sloozily to Maven. He nods along to your words, grabbing your hands. You two stand in the garden, rocking back and forth as the beaming sun tans both of your silver skins. Maven hums in his own way of asking you to continue. He leans in with a smile on his face, admiring your dreamy eyes compared to his dull ones.

"I want a bed of gold." You finish with a wink. Quickly, Maven wraps his long arms around your waist, twirling you around. 

"That's an outrageous demand." He states with a small cackle afterward. You giggle madly, loving the feeling of the summer air through your hair as he spins you around. He loves the look of innocent beaming through you as he puts you down. You look at him like he is a gift from the Heavens. 

"Well, a queen has her outrageous demands, that's what makes her queen!" You reply, grabbing his cheeks with your hands. 

I see your face

He grins at you before you kiss him. He is quick to kiss you back, accepting you into his heart as he holds you close to him. He loves you, he swears to himself. He doesn't want anybody to hate you. 

Then your mouth starts moving 

And my veins are pumping

"I'll get you a golden bed if it means you'll sleep in my arms safely," he whispers into your ear. He holds you close, squeezing you close to his body. Your hands grasp onto his shoulders blades as he begins rocking side to side, swaying against him. 

Pastel fades into black and white

The colors you once loved to wear you cannot anymore. You dress in proper dark colors rather than the beautiful pastels you did as a child. You remember holding colorful flowers in your hands just because you could, but now you hold knives strong enough to cut through any heart. 

So I'll flood the raging fires 

Raise the clouds up higher

"The greatest weapon," Maven presents you to the other houses, using this as his opener. You emerge from behind him with an emotionless look, not caring the scan the crowds of their faces. You don't want to see. You don't want to remember. You want to grab out and reach Maven's hand but you can't. Because affection is a weakness. Marrying for love was the birth of Maven's downfall. You just stand stiff, shoulders back, and your knees together. 

"With the power to go into an unconscious person's mind and pick whatever she pleases," Maven takes a lock of your hair into his hand, examining it like it was his own creation. "How beautiful," he mocks. The crowd looks at each other, whispering and laughing. In private, the action would have made butterflies in your stomach, now, it makes you utterly sick. You are not a weapon to be displayed, you are his wife. But you can't change that for the life of you, can you?

Looking down on 

The dreams I had of you and I

You always thought that being married to Maven would be an easy pass to ruling the country. As greedy as it sounds, you have always wanted to be queen. Maven was easy to take advantage of. But of course, you grew to love him, and becoming queen was right in your hands. You imagined being by his side equally as you both took over poverty. Instead, you stand behind him as he pushes you around like an object, scared of showing himself as a bit emotional. You think it's pathetic. Maven imagines himself as a better fit king, less emotional than his brother. Is that right? Truly... is that right?

I won't cry 

I'm just fine

As the people continue to stare, you don't say anything. You don't do anything. You don't want to feel, you can't. Push away the embarrassment, push away the excitement. Those will be the weakness of a queen. If Maven's going to play the game of stereotypes, you will, too.

With sugar stars falling to me

"I'm sorry," Maven whispers after hours, alone. He takes your hands in his, looking you in the eyes. You try to pull away. You feel the heat all around you as you refuse to look into his eyes. Sure, he's not as emotional as his brother but he sure is as stubborn as him.

"No," you refuse as you try to slip your hands out of his. He holds them tight, pulling you closer to him. At this point you stumble, catching your balance in the expensive shoes you wear. 

"Forgive me!" He raises his voice. He doesn't want you to be happy, he doesn't want you to truly forgive him. He just wants the satisfaction of having you below him, doesn't he? That's all he is, isn't he? 

But as your torso pressed against him, you lean up and kiss him. This is nothing. He is nothing. With all of the smiles and beautiful moments, you two have, it's only in your dreams. It's like none of this is real. 

He loosens his grip, placing his hands on your hips as you keep your pulsating hands on his chest. He holds you tightly, making it hard to breathe. Why does he have such a hard time letting you go?

I had a nightmare last night

In the morning, the sun peaks through the windows and shines on your face. You blink. It's morning already. You didn't sleep. You had no arms around you. You just laid like a doll. You thought about how Maven didn't let you go, keeping you tightly to him. You were overreacting last night. He is just sensitive. You really need to consider his emotions. 

You look at your hand, twisting the wedding ring. Maven loves you dearly, and you love Maven.

"Good morning, Maven." You say in a raspy voice when you felt Maven curl around you. He exhales, his eyelashes fluttering. 

It was about you and...

"Maven?" You edge, asking for his attention. He opens one eye, looking at you like a crystal ocean waiting for you to get swallowed in its depths. I love you, you want to say. You gulp before shaking your head. 

"Nevermind..." You smile at yourself, wrapping your arms around him. 

Well, the rest doesn't matter