(Sequel) Songfic: Memory

(MOSTLY A SEQUEL TO THE 'LIE TO ME' SONGFIC

Why did I almost cry writing this

This song makes me emotional)

Midnight, not a song from the pavement

You stand in front of the window in Maven's room, looking out onto the forest below. Maven sleeps alone only feet away from you, not noticing your absence. His sleep is dreamless. Everything is dreamless. The cradle, made of hard metal, rocks back and forth with the soothing power of your mind. Softly, your child sleeps. And softly you breathe.

She is smiling alone

Your eyes move from the forest to the moon. The night is so quiet compared to the day. You can't hear the servants scrambling around or the visitors walking alongside silvers like Evangeline. Everyone is asleep. Everyone except you. 

Memory, all alone in the moonlight

You turn your head towards the crib, twisting the metal ring around your ring finger. You remember the thought you first had when Maven picked you to be his bride. It was all surprise, then happiness. You felt like a blinking star in the night sky when he laid his eyes on you.

I can smile at the old days

You never quite felt like you belonged in the title of princess, even queen. But you loved living in the castle. It was such a tall, amazing structure that never went unexplored. And there was always something that you hadn't seen the day before. 

You remember when Maven would take your hand and show you everything amazing about the castle, all of the dents in the walls and where they came from, and all of the childhood memories he had. 

I was beautiful then

Vividly as today, you can remember how his pupils would dilate every morning when he woke up next to you. But now, his eyes, a dark grey color never seem to show his pupils anymore. You wonder if you've changed like that. Does your hair still have that glow in the sun it did before? Do your eyes still twinkle whenever you see him? What if your skin has lost its soft texture, never to return?

Let the memory live again

As you lean over the cradle, you see your child, awake and happy. He smiles at you before moving his tiny hand towards you. You slowly pick him up, examining his features. Like Maven, his eyes are blue. When he grows up, will his eyes turn grey?

You take your child to the window, holding him close to you. His small eyes look out to the infinite yards of trees the same way you used to. You put your finger to the glass, pointing just over the horizon.

"It's truly peaceful, isn't it?" You rhetorically ask, bouncing him a bit. He smiles, doesn't squeal, as he just remains with his eyes locked to the view below. 

And soon 

It will be morning

When the sun fully rose to the sky your child was in his crib and Maven was already up and about. Maven always awakes early in the morning, not knowing that you like to wake even earlier. For every inch of this castle has already been seen and awed by your eyes, the only thing that's new every day is the sunrise. You wish for the times when Maven had the time to take you somewhere, and you two would have the most fun in your lives. 

I must think of a new life

One day, you will pass on those memories and emotions onto the child that you have. Every other year you will show them a part of the castle they haven't seen before. And maybe one day, when you aren't here anymore, he'll find another crevice that you hadn't the time to show him.

"I remember long ago before you were born," you speak to your infant as you rock the cradle with your feet, "your father and I made an agreement. He said that I get to take care of you all of these days as long as he gets to see your first steps. Isn't that cute?" You lean into the cradle as your child smiles, letting out a small noise in return.

"So you can't start walking until you are very old, just for fun, right?" Again, your child starts to laugh. His smile is big and pure, something you etch into your mind. 

When the dawn comes, tonight will be a memory too

"That's not fair." Maven says as he closes the door behind him. You smile. Maven naturally wraps his arms around you, holding you close to him. Everything is perfect at that moment. You feel like you are young again. He smells the same as he did the first time you two shared an embrace. He holds you close, tightly.

"Is something the matter?" You ask him, rubbing his back. He shakes his head, just holding you tight.

Like a flower, as the day is breaking 

Soon, the sun is not in the sky anymore. Your child is asleep. Maven is undressing. You are already in bed. He takes his time, knowing that you won't fall asleep without him. Every day he does this. He takes his time. 

"I love you," he says to you as he finally approaches the bed. You place your fingers on his arm, starring at the unfamiliar aging aspects of his face. 

"I love you more." You respond with a smile. As Maven crawls into bed, he gives you a sad smile. You blink, getting more tired by the moment. This day has been great, you want to remember it all. But you know that all these memories will eventually become erased.

Maven brings you closer to him, kissing your forehead as he holds you tightly.

The memory is fading

Ever since you were a teenager you never quite accustomed to the diseases and bacteria in the forest areas and drylands. You would constantly become sick, something nobody seemed to cure. But now you're fine, living as a perfect queen. Every day you wake up on the same day. Maven fears to pass time.

Touch me

It's so easy to leave me

Maven lays awake in his room in the early morning. He stares at the cradle next to his bed. He watches it rock back and forth. You stand in front of the window in Maven's room, looking out onto the forest below. You breathe softly, thinking Maven to be asleep. Maven watches as you take your child to the window, pressing your finger against the glass. 

"It's truly peaceful, isn't it?" You rhetorically ask, bouncing him a bit. Today, he squeals as he looks into your eyes.

All alone with the memory

Of my days in the sun

All you can remember are your days when you were young. You remember your marriage and having your son, but he's a lot older than you think. Every day you fall asleep only to wake up with zero memories of the day before. 

Maven lives with you and loves you the same. He chooses to keep you with him. 

So he smiles as he stands from bed to join you next to your son. He enjoys how you watch the sunrise, thinking it's different every day. 

If you touch me, you'll understand what happiness is

He kisses your forehead lightly, light coming over the horizon. Your eyes are locked on it. It's the most beautiful thing you've ever seen. 

"I love you," he whispers quietly as he holds you close. Your son of two years leans his head onto your shoulder, almost falling asleep in your touch. 

"I love you more." You smile as you admit your life-long feelings for him. Maven stares at the sunrise, basking at the moment. He has his wife, who he loves more than anything, by his side. He has his son, who he'll raise nothing like how his mother raised him, who will be strong and mindful. Maven sighs as he hugs his family. This is his favorite memory.

Look, a new day has begun