September mystery interview

This month's mystery interview spot has been given to: @b_a_mcdermott

1 what's your favorite holiday and why? 

My favorite holiday is Halloween. I like to go all-out on my costumes. One year, I dressed up as an oyster and went around telling my neighbors to save the bay. 

2 what inspired you to write? 

When I was eleven, I met Rick Riorden at a book-signing event. He asked me if I wanted to be an author too, and of course I said yes. (I can't let Rick down!)

3 what do you enjoy most about Wattpad?

I really enjoy being able to interact with my readers on Wattpad. Reading their comments is always so insightful, even when they just want to correct a typo. I especially love it when they're able to connect to the characters. It makes my writing feel so special.

 4 if you could hang out with your favorite celeb for a day, who would you choose and what would you do? 

I'm not good at speaking to famous people (I saw Gal Gadot once and literally froze on the spot), but if I could spend the day with one celebrity, it would probably Jameela Jamil. She seems like she'd be a really fun person to hang out with. Also, she's a super amazing activist and I'd love to hear all her life advice.

5 what's one Wattpad goal? 

My main goal is for my story, "The Kids Aren't Alright", to hit 1k reads. The idea of that many people reading my story is absolutely mind-blowing.

6 what's your favorite snack?

My favorite snacks are grilled cheese and popcorn (sorry, I couldn't pick just one!)

 7 what's your dream vacation? 

My dream vacation would be back-packing across Europe. It's something that's always been on my bucket list.

8 if you could gain advice from your favorite author, who would you choose and what would you ask? 

I would like to ask Benjamin Alire Sáenz (author of "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe") how he creates such beautiful characters. I've never read a book that treats its characters with more empathy, and I think that's really important when it comes to writing. I'm a big fan of hopeful endings.

9 what's a song you enjoy? Who is the artist

My favorite song is currently "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac. Every time I listen to it I'm awed by Stevie Nicks' talent. 

10 what's a good piece of advice for a newcomer?

I'm pretty new to Wattpad myself, but I guess one piece of advice I'd give to newcomers is to not give up easily. People didn't start reading my story for a good two weeks. It takes time for your work to be discovered.

 11 Are you still surprised when you get a new vote, follow or comment? 

Yes! New votes/follows/comments always make my day. Having someone recognize my work is one of the best feelings.

Request time!

I only have one book on Wattpad right now

I only have one book on Wattpad right now. It's called "The Kids Aren't Alright", and I've been writing it for about four years. The story takes place in the 80s, and follows the lives of a (somewhat misguided) aspiring environmentalist, one-time car thief trying to cover up his mother's crimes, introverted computer geek with a secret, and an angry psychic out for revenge. This story is a total blend of genres, and I think it has something for everyone.