Ohne Titel Teil22

The time during school the next day, especially to Juanma, seemed endless. Alvaro had offered to drive him during the lunch break, but they feared that they were running out of time. So they  started after school.

They assumed that not everyone was allowed to go to the safe anyway, so Alvaro drove alone with Juanma.

Arrived at the bank, Juanma reported at the information desk. A member of staff came up to them and Juanma showed him the key and his ID.

"Then follow me," he said and looked briefly at Alvaro. They left the upper floor and went into the basement of the bank and there into a separately locked room. The clerk pulled his service card through a device and then asked Juanma to give him the key. "The door here can be opened from the inside, which means you can come out without me, but then please report to the information desk again."

When he found the safe at about head height, he put the key in the lock and turned it. Then he pulled the cassette out a little and left the two of them alone. Juanma stopped for a moment. Alvaro put a hand on his shoulder.

Juanma took out the cassette and placed it on a nearby table. Then he looked at Alvaro. He lifted the lid and there was a large yellow envelope in the box. Alvaro saw that Juanma's hand was trembling slightly as he removed the envelope from the cassette. The bottom under the envelope was empty. Juanma put the envelope on the table and put the cassette back in its place.

Both boys looked at the envelope and Juanma played lost in thought with the key.

"Do you want to see in?" asked Alvaro

"Let's get out of here first," said Juanma quietly. He took the envelope and they left the room.

Juanma went back to the information desk to let them know that they were done. "What do I do with the key" he asked.

"The locker is still paid for for a few months, so if you want to put anything in it, you still have the option."

"Ok then I'll discuss this with my mother, thank you," he said and put the key in his pocket.

Alvaro had gone to the car. When both were in the car, Juanma had the envelope on his lap. Alvaro looked briefly at Juanma, but then decided not to ask again.

They drove back to school. Mia was in the cafeteria with Sofie and Simon and Zoe had taken a shower. Juanma came to the table for a moment and then said "I'll be right back." He took the envelope and disappeared. Alvaro looked at Mia.

Mia looked after Juanma. She wanted to give him a little time and hoped Zoe could check on him after the shower.

When after half an hour neither Juanma nor Zoe were there, she ran up to her room. Zoe fell asleep. She thought for a moment and then went into the room behind the gym. Juanma was sitting on the mattresses. He had a sheet of paper in front of him and Mia could see traces of tears on his cheek as she approached.

She sat down next to him and put her arm around his neck. Juanma dropped the sheet and held her tight.

They stayed that way for a while, until Mia got the impression that he was back in control of his emotions. She pulled away from him easily and wiped a trail of tears from his cheek.

Juanma took a deep breath. Then he picked up the sheet of paper and handed it to Mia. Mia looked at him questioningly.

"Read it ."

It was a letter from his father, she had thought so.

******

My dear son,

I'm not sure we will have the time to say goodbye, so I'm leaving you these lines. I wanted to tell you, that your birth was one of the happiest, if not the happiest, day of my life together with  the day I married your mother. You are on the right path and I am immensely proud of you. I'm sorry that I probably can't see you grow up and start a family. I wish you find the same happiness that I found. No matter what you want for your life, I hope it comes true. Live your dreams and enjoy every minute.

I love you

Dad

******

Juanma had read again with Mia and tears had come to his eyes again. Mia took his hand and he took her back in his arms.

"I can just see him in front of me," he said softly. Mia nodded. She knew the feeling. Juanma broke away from her again. "There's still his military badge and his professional player's pass in here. And a matchbox from Brazil. We were on vacation there once. Look, I wrote Papa on it." he said softly and held up the box. He pushed the player's card aside and found another photo. "that's him," said Juanma. Mia took the picture carefully. It was recorded in front of the house, she recognized the driveway. Juanma's papa looked very much like Juanma. She handed the photo back to Juanma and said: "You know, I also have a small box with my mother's things. When I'm sad sometimes, I take them out and look at them. I see her  too. And I feel her. "

"He will never come back," said Juanma.

"He will always take care of you, Juanma. You will always find a way to feel close to him. They are never completely gone. We look for a nice box and put the things in. You keep them well. And then you have always something from him. "

She caught a tear again. "Sorry," he said.

"Its all ok. I suppose you were always strong for your mother. And now .."

Juanma nodded.

They sat together for a while longer. After a while, Juanma said. "I promised mom I'd tell her what's in the safe." Mia nodded. "Wouldn't you prefer to show her the things?" she asked.