I Like Your Accent

Lachlan's POV

Why did I have to move? I loved Australia. All my friends were there. If only my dad didn't take the stupid job. Mum didn't want to come either. I miss my friends already.

Mum: "Come on mate think of it in the long run. We won't always be here. WE can go back home sometime. On a holiday we can go back and see your friends. How about that?"

Lachlan: "I miss Jay."

Mum: "You guys were really close it's understandable why you would miss him. How about I talk to his mum about setting up one of those Skype things so you boys can still talk to each other when your both home from school?"

I looked up at my mum and saw her smiling at me. I know she didn't want this. But it's the best I'm going to get.

Lachlan: "I don't want to go today. I don't know anyone."

Mum: "You already took yesterday off to unpack your things. I told the school you would becoming today and you need to organise your class. Think of it this way. You can make new friends. So when you go back home your friends will think your cool because you have friends around the world."

I smiled to myself. Jay did tell me to make more friends and not worry about him. He will always be my friend.

Lachlan: "Ok. I'll make so many friends they will want to come over to Australia with me. And it will be a lot of fun and I will like it."

Mum: "See I knew you would be able to think of something good about this. I'm sorry mate.But just make the most of it ok? And don't worry. I've already been told by the Teachers that you will be really popular for your accent."

Lachlan: "What's that mean?"

Mum: "Remember when Dad's boss came over yesterday to meet us and help us unpack. And he sounded different to us?"

Lachlan: "Yeah."

Mum: "That's an accent.Your going to sound different to everyone else but think of it as a good thing. Your special."

Lachlan: "You tell me that all the time."

Mum: "It's true. Have you got your bag with you?"

Lachlan: "Yeah mum."

Mum: "Ok. Here we are."

We pulled up in front of the public school and I looked to see everyone walking around with a uniform on. I didn't know we had to wear a uniform.

Mum: "Don't worry about the uniform. I was told to get you to wear all black. They will sort out a uniform for you today. Take this."

My mum handed me about 50 pounds to pay for the uniform. I hope that was enough. It didn't seem like it would be but I didn't want to tell mum. I grabbed my bag and looked over at her to see her smiling at me. I leaned over and gave her a hug.

Lachlan: "Bye mum. I'll see you after school."

Mum: "Bye mate. Have fun."

I got out of the car and walked into the office. I saw a few people looking at me funny. But It might have been because I wasn't in a uniform yet.

Teacher: "Good morning can I help you?"

Lachlan: "Hi I'm new here."

Teacher: "Oh you must be Lachlan. Please give me one second. Ah Mr Bradley this is Lachlan."

Mr Bradley: "Ah yes.Your mum called us up earlier today. I'll be your teacher this year.When did you get here?"

Lachlan: "In the country or the school?"