That First Step

Jerome's POV

Jerome: "Abigail we talked about this."

Abi: "Yeah I understand that but come on, what about Cameron and Luke?"

Jerome: "That's different and you know it."

I've been having a conversation, though it was half an argument with my daughter for half an hour now.

Abigail: "How come Camera has so much more trust than I do, and don't say there isn't any difference because I can tell there is."

Jerome: "You have been spending way too much time with Grace and you know it. Look I let Cameron have more freedom because he's 17. He's almost an adult, Grace you are 14. You don't need a boyfriend just because you see how Cameron is with Luke. Honestly your too young to have to worry about someone else."

Abi: "What do you mean worry about someone else."

Jerome: "When your with a boy, you and he are expected to care for each other, look after each other when either of you are upset, expected to go out together and do things outside of the house."

Abi: "Like Simon and Keira?"

Jerome: "Like Simon and Keira. Honey you can do what you like but your still my little girl. I honestly think your too young for this but I won't stop you, I just don't think a 14 year old has to think they need responsibility with someone else."

I thought about Cameron and Luke, probably asleep in his bed.

Abi: "Dad?"

Jerome: "Yes sweet heart."

Abi: "What happened with Luke? Because Cameron hasn't come out of his room all day, and every time I walk past I hear someone crying."

I debated about telling her, she was 14. Still too young to worry about it but old enough to understand.

Jerome: "Do you remember Rob and Preston?"

Abi: "Of course I do."

Jerome: "And you remember how upset Preston was when he found out Rob was gay?"

Abi: "Yeah, it's why we don't talk to him anymore. But Luke's gay and Preston still kept him."

Jerome: "No honey he didn't. Remember how Luke was always coming over? And we just thought it was because he and Cameron were such good friends?"

Abi: "Yeah?"

Jerome: "Ok so Preston actually kicked Luke out of home, he was going to go and stay with his uncle Landon but Preston refused to let him have any involvement in his family. That's why Luke is here and why he is so upset, in hoping to get trust from his dad of all people. He was kicked out of home."

I noticed Abi's eyes widen slightly before she looked almost sad. It reminded me of my husband. Three years and then everything went to shit.

Abi: "Dad?"

Jerome: "One more question Hun it's already past your bed time."

Abi: "Ok. Is that what happened to Papa?"

I was dreading this question, Cameron never needed to ask as he was old enough to understand when it happened. He was 11 while Abi was only 8. She was still so young.

Jerome: "Uh yeah. When he told his parents about us, he wasn't welcome anymore, which is why he came and stayed with us properly."

Abi: "I miss him so much."

Jerome: "I know baby girl, I miss him to."

Abi: "Is that why you never dated anyone else?"

Jerome: "That's half true, I was always scared about being with someone else as it's not something that crosses my mind, I'm happy just looking after you two, and now trying to handle the whole Luke and Preston situation. It does take it's toll on me after a while. I watched her nod her head, her Brunette hair falling lazily to one side.