Conversing 「Kari」

After a short ride home, we steadily paced ourselves up the stairs, unlocking the apartment door and instantly heading to the kitchen to be able to eat our meals. The food was placed according to where we each had sat last time, which I assumed acted as our permanent arrangement, and Mom quickly organized napkins and other necessities such as condiments around the table.

I took my seat facing my burger, hoping Skie and Alex would do the same as to not make me seem pushy and unruly. They luckily did so, my mother quickly following as she placed the last napkin.

"Would you like me to bless the food?" She asked, nodding her head to me and smiling.

"Are you more religious since Dad left?" I asked, a bit taken back by her request. "We didn't do this when you guys were together."

"I'm just happy I have my daughter back, that's all. I don't do it all the time. Too much of a hassle."

I chuckled awkwardly, giving her a thumbs up before folding my hands and closing my eyes. She spoke a simple prayer, thanking God for all the average cliche things in every prayer before saying "amen," which I didn't dare reply loudly due to the fact that I didn't want to seem too into the whole thing to cause her to do it more often. I hated waiting to eat for such a simple thing.

We all began unwrapping our meals, applying the little fries we had left with our main items. I always regretted eating them ahead of time, but it was always worth it when you were borderline starving.

"So..." Mom started, clearing her throat as she bit into her sandwich. "You guys never told me the story."

"What story?" Skie asked, raising her head from her chicken sandwich.

"How you all got together and came over here, and how Alex joined in. She doesn't seem to be related to you. A friend, perhaps?"

"Well, I guess I can explain some of it. Do you want to know?"

"Yes please!"

~

[A/N]: sorry for there not being a chapter yesterday! I was super tired and had no motivation *^*

Sorry for any mistakes!