Struggle 「Kari」

I giggled silently as Skie began to drag Alex into the grass, setting her rag doll-like body up against its base of a tree.

"Sit." She mumbled, bending her legs back and plopping herself down onto the grass. We both soon followed, Preston hesitating slightly before seating himself.

We were all drowned in silence, no words escaping the lips of any of us. Our breathing being the only thing to break it.

"U-uh..." Preston stuttered nervously.

Skie sighed as if she was annoyed by his lack of words, and cut him off.

"Your dad assaulted my mother." She spat, her tone drastically changed.

Both our eyes widened as her words left her mouth, questions overtaking us.

"...w-what?" He muttered, his mouth falling open. "What- how do you know?"

"I was about five-" she started. "Old enough to remember it. He had lured my mom in with his charm and was staying at our house. We were about to have dinner when he starts going apeshit and threatening her. I don't really know what they were arguing about, but he managed to leave scars on my mom's heart."

She took a deep breath, straightening her posture.

"The neighbors called the cops after hearing all the yelling. They took him to court and charged him for assault, but they never managed to get him in prison, sadly."

"My dad isn't the horrible person you say he is! He did nothing wrong!" Preston yelled. "Your whore of a mother had to go mess around with him and treat him horribly!"

"I don't give a damn!" She replied. "I can't trust you when you start acting like you know nothing and suddenly blow up in my face!"

He was at a loss of words, clenching his pants and biting his lip.

"Oh, and by the way..." Skie started, standing up and clenching my hand.
"...for your information, she's mine."

He looked up at Skie's grin, glaring into her eyes. I could tell I was blushing bright red from her words, and was glad he didn't seem to care.

"We'll see." He smiled.