Closing Space 「Kari」

Skie's words rode down my spine as our bodies pressed against each other. "S-Skie..?" I managed to say.
"Are you alright?"
She wasn't saying anything.
Her lips curled in, her face painted with a hurt expression. Something was clearly wrong, and she was holding it in.
She looked so,
alone.

In an attempt to comfort her, I placed my forehead against hers and slowly drug her head into my shoulder. Her body was so warm, she couldn't possibly feel well.
"I-It's alright, Skie." I whispered into her ear. I could feel her tears dropping onto the fabric of my shirt. She was shaking. Her body felt so weak in my arms, it made me feel like a mother comforting her child. She then began hiccuping and gasping as she released all her tears into my shirt sleeve. Her hand tugged on my shirt collar as she dug her face into my shoulder. I placed my hand on the back of her head and began to stroke her hair gently in an attempt to calm her.

We sat like this for a while, comforting each other with our embrace. I felt like we became closer, like a family, each minute that passed. She had barely talked to me when we first met, but we had bonded so quickly after we had time alone. This feeling of being a "big sister" fascinated me. She depended on me.

Skie gazed up into my eyes.

"K-Kari?" She spoke weakly.

"Yes, Skie?"

"C-can we stay like this for a while?"

"Sure." I responded, forming a smile.

At some point, she fell asleep in my arms, and I shortly followed. We were both awoken by the opening of the bedroom door and the voice of Skie's mom.

"I see you two got close." She said with a smirk.

My body jolted up and caused me to pull one of my tendons in my leg.
"Oww!" I yelled, startling Skie and causing her to jump.
"Are you okay?" Skie's mom asked worriedly. "L-let me go get you something to take for your pain." She quickly ran out the bedroom and slammed the door behind her, followed by the pounding of her feet on the stairs.

"K-Kari?" Skie asked, "How do you show someone you love them without destroying what they have with you?"

Why was she asking me this all of a sudden?

"U-uh... I guess you just tell them you love them and hope they feel the same? I don't really have any experience."

"Okay," she said with a smile. "Thanks for the advice."

I began to get up until Skie tugged on my shirt sleeve.

"W-wait." She said with a blush upon her face.

"What do you need?" I asked in curiosity. She motioned for me to sit back down on the bed, which I did. She placed her warm hand on the edge of my cheek.

"D-do you mind if I try something?" She asked.

"N-no. Go ahead."

She placed her other hand on my shoulder and leaned towards me. Our noses touched as she tilted her head and moved her lips towards mine.
The moist feeling of her mouth touched my lips as she kissed me tenderly.
I placed my hand upon hers as she held our contact so gently before releasing her hold.

Forming a smile upon her lips, she spoke the words that changed my life.

"I love you, Kari."