Panic 「Skie」

I said it. I told her my feelings. I felt as if a huge weight had been lifted off my chest. I gazed into her eyes and smiled like an idiot. I didn't care how she took it. Whether she would just brush it off or actually confront me about it was up to her. I was just glad I had the courage to say something.
Her expression caused me to think that she was a bit confused, but she smiled back at me.

"Now... Can you get off my leg?" She blurted out. "You're kinda hurting it."

"S-sorry!" I yelled. I pulled my body back off of hers gently. I had forgotten about her incident earlier. "I forgot."

"It's fi-" her voice was cut off by a knock at the bedroom door. "Kari, honey, I brought you some medicine to take! Is water okay?" "Y-yeah!" She replied. I jumped up out of the bed and opened the door for my mom, who ran straight to Kari and began propping her leg up and handing her pills.

"Thanks" Kari managed to breathe out before throwing the pills into her mouth and chugging down half of the bottle of water to follow. A stream of the liquid had flowed down the side of her mouth. I snapped my fingers to get her attention and pointed my finger to my chin to mimic the position of the water. She looked at me puzzled for a few seconds then felt the water with her fingertips.

She giggled playfully and wiped her mouth with her shirt sleeve.
"Oh." She said with a sigh. "Use words next time."
"Sorry." I replied. "Didn't want to startle you."

"So what did you girls talk about?" My mom asked. I blushed slightly and looked to the side, accidentally making eye contact with Kari. She nodded to me with a smile and began to speak.
"I was telling Skie about how I couldn't wait to go to school with her!" She said happily.
"Oh that's right!" My mom replied. "What year are you in?"
"I should be a first year this year." She said boastfully. "Same as Skie, right?"
"Ah, yes!" Mom said cheerfully. "It's good that you girls will get to go to school together. You can go with Skie tomorrow and get an enrollment form. Hopefully there won't be any trouble." "Yeah, hopefully."

They continued their conversation on for quite a while, maybe another ten minutes or so, until mom finally decided to let Kari rest.
"If you need anything, just call for me!" My mom told her as she opened the bedroom door.
"Alright!" Kari managed to say before my mom closed the door.

We walked down the steps together in an awkward silence before I decided I would say something.

"Hey m-"

"Skie."

"Yes mom?"

"What did the words 'I love you' mean when you told them to our guest?"