Investigation 「Kari」

"Drinks, my ladies?" Dad boastfully shouted as he carried the cardboard holder to the crammed table, his new mystery woman following directly behind.

"Hey Dad," I sighed. "Who's this?"

He exhaled a nervous chuckle, glaring at me from behind his mask he had worn for her. I took it as a threat, smiling in return.

"I guess it's true you two haven't met." He grinned. "Kari, this is Lilly, she's the chief financial officer at my district. We had a bit of business we needed to discuss that wasn't able to fit in during work hours."

I couldn't help but giggle at his word usage. None of that meant anything at all. There wasn't a "chief financial officer" that worked with him in his so called "district." I bit my lip, tilting the burning, foam cup up to it, blowing through the thin sliver of an opening to cool its contents.

"So who's the motherly figure in your household, Mr. Overstreet?" Alex questioned, causing me to silently choke on my beverage. I regretted allowing her to come along, seeing I hadn't told her anything about my family, and I pretty much hate her.

"Ah, call me Mr. Lambert." He beamed with slight sadness in his tone as he spoke. "Kari is the only one in our family who still pertains to that name, seeing it is her mother's maiden name. She refused to convert her surname to my family's, sadly, so she's the equivalent of a black sheep."

"Harsh." I mumbled, sipping my hot chocolate. It tasted bitter, most likely from my mood, but I shrugged it off, enjoying it anyway.

"Milk?" Skie smiled gently, handing me a miniature plastic cup full of the creamy liquid. "I could see it on your face."

"Thanks." I breathed, twisting the plastic lid off of the portable container and ripping the paper cover off of the other. "Poker Faces aren't my specialty."

"I'll remember that." She laughed, covering her mouth with her jacket sleeve as I mixed the substances together, colliding with a swirl.

I looked up to Alex, her conversation with my father, which I had partially filtered out of my thought to enjoy this magical SkiexKari moment, still continuing.

"Oooooh!" Alex wailed, jumping around in her chair. "What's the date?!"

What..?

Date..?

"Oh, the twenty-third of next month." He smirked. "Right on time."

"What date, Dad?"

~

[A/N]: OOOOH YAY! HURRAY FOR THICK CHAPS WITH RELATABLE REFERENCES! Haha :3 I love you all, my babies *pats heads* y'all ish adorable. Ship it like fed ex and we'll be the next UPS c: Lots of lovies my children <3 I'll give you cake if you can guess how many fingers I'm holding up x3