Singlets - change over

A/n: inspired by the podcast by Hoppo 'Life's A Beach', ep.4

Your POV:
It's mid Thursday afternoon and the beach was busy. It was packed. There's no surprise there if I'm honest. It's bondi! It was change over time in the tower. Trent and I were paired up for the day so where he went on the beach I had to follow. Simple as. We walked in the tower. By this point no lifeguard was actually on the beach as we all were in the tower. "Something doesn't look right." Trent said taking a look through his binoculars. We all looked over at him. There was a group of people down by backpackers and were in trouble.

Trent quickly placed his binoculars down within seconds. "Got to move. Let's go. Let's go." He exclaimed running out of the tower. I followed after him getting into the buggy. He sped us down to backpackers (south bondi). We both took a board each out of the rack and paddled as fast as we could to the patients.

Trent's POV:
As soon as I saw the hands go up I knew it wasn't going to end well. I had this feeling in my stomach that it was something bad. A wave crashed onto my board and when I got over it I noticed the first person. She was floating face down in the water lifeless. This isn't good! Y/n was soon near me but I realised there was another person. Two were floating face down lifeless. The others (a/n: I know it's not the exact ones who helped) Deano, Harries, Jethro and Whippet came to back us both up.

I struggled to pull the lady onto my board but I managed to do it with my strength. I pulled the chain movement with my arm which signals their unconscious which means they'll need the defib oxygen and call an ambo. This wasn't looking good. It was only me with the lady as the others were with y/n and her patient. I needed help with mine. "HELP!!" I shouted to near by surfers but no one seemed to hear me. Out of nowhere Corey came. I sighed in relief. We moved towards the sandbank as it pushed us back to shore.

The others followed behind us shortly getting to shore themselves. They carried the guy up the beach far away from the water and we did the same with my patient. Harries helped Corey and I. We got to the area and everything was ready aka the defib and all that. Harries got the defib ready for her. "Let's keep her on the board." I said as I continued with the compressions. 20 yards down the others were working on the male patient.

It felt like ages before the ambo's arrived but they were here before we knew it. All of us were working on the patients giving them the best care we could.

The paramedic took over the chest compressions for me so I could have a break. I looked over at y/n who had her head in her hands. I knew this wasn't a good sign or ending. My trail of thought got cut off. "We've got a femoral pulse." The specialist said making me sign in relief. "We're still not in the safe zone yet but at least we have some sort of pulse." They said. We got her onto the stretcher(after carrying her on the board) and into the ambo. They shot off. I knew that the male didn't make it.

The others walked up towards us as they let the paramedics and police deal with the deceased man. "You did what you could." I told the three of them. Y/n wrapped her arms around me as we hugged. I held her close and kissed the top of her head. This was physically and mentally exhausting. Everyone did the best they could.

Your POV:
Three days had gone by. Trent wanted to go to the hospital and visit the lady he saved but we all convinced him not too due the possibility that she could have brain damage from the amount of time she was unconscious for. I spoke to Hoppo about what happens as I needed to speak to someone about it and he was there if anyone needed to speak. Trent and I had a day off. We spent it at home when the phone rang.

You.
Reidy.

Hello?
Hey y/n it's me Reidy.
Hey Reidy
You may want to bring Trent down to the tower as we have someone who wants to meet him.
Sure. We'll be down in 10!
Good see you then.
Bye.
Bye.

I placed the phone down and walked into the bedroom were Trent was. "Hey Reidy called and said there's someone down at the tower who wants to meet you." I said as he stood up. "Oh ok. Let's go then." He smile as we headed out of the house. The two of us made our way to the tower.

We walked in and there was a small group (about 3 people) in the tower. "Singlets this is the lady you saved the other day." Hoppo told me. By Trent's face you could tell he didn't recognise her but he was happy to see her. "So good to see you. I'm glad you're up and walking." He said as they hugged. "Thank you for saving my life." She said to him. "Thank you all for what you did for me and my other half." She said to us all. "We're sorry for your loss." I said as she smiled weakly.

Trent and I spent the rest of our afternoon in the tower with the lady and her family. Once they left we also left for home. "You did great out there." I said as we walked hand in hand home. "That made my day. I was so worried." He mentioned. "You're everyone's hero. You're my hero." I smiled as we got closer home. We shared a hug before ending the night in each other's arms.