Chapter 3

Sullivan: "Can we talk?"

Andy thought Sullivan might tell her something about the baby. He knows very well that this is not a place where children can stay all day, but at the moment there was no other solution so before he could say something she started talking walking back and forth in the office.

Andy: "I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't keep my daughter here but I don't know what to do. My father is on vacation and the kindergarten is closed for the whole week. Without my father and his partner I have no one to help me, the only other people who can help me work with me. I really don't know what to do" Taken from the moment of despair she sat on the sofa next to Sullivan.

He put a hand on her shoulder to comfort her and then said: "It's okay, don't worry about her. You can bring it here as many times as you want. You can take the rest of the week so you can stay home with her"

Andy: "Thanks, but I don't want to stay at home I risk going crazy. Could I keep her here with me? I can be on duty all week at my desk, anything but not at home"

Sullivan: "Are you sure? If that's what you want it's fine. You could also do some outings with the ambulance if you want"

Andy: "Really?" Sullivan nodded. "And if I go out for a call who can I leave Cami?"

Sullivan: "I'll take care of her, if that's okay with you. I will take your seat in the ambulance so that you can stay with your daughter. We can take turns, but in case of a fire call, you'll stay here with her. You can stay here in my office so you will always know where she is"

Andy: "Sounds like a good plan to me. Thanks for all"

Sullivan: "Can I ask you a question even if it's a bit personal?" Andy nodded. "Doesn't the father live with you?"

Andy: "No and I think it's better that way. When I told him I was pregnant he left me and disappeared. I have managed it by myself so far with the help of my father and his partner and now that she is retired it is right that he too has a life, I will be able to manage alone this time too"

Sullivan got even closer to her: "You are not alone. I saw how everyone loves that little girl and now you have me too if you need help"

Andy: "You know, I was very surprised by how she immediately fell in love with you, usually with those who don't know she never does that. And she also surprised me sincerely, he was immediately nice and kind to her, does he have children of hers?"

At that question, Sullivan frowned at the family he had and lost. "I had a daughter, but now she and her mother are gone"

Andy: "I'm sorry, I didn't want to, I.."

Sullivan: "It's okay. She was more or less the age of Camilla, she was called Isabel. She and Claire were my whole world and were taken away from me by a hit and run. That day the three of us were in the park and it was the last time I saw them"

Andy: "Did you witness the accident?"

Sullivan: "No. I left before them because my shift was about to begin and in all these years they never found out who it was"

Andy: "I'm so sorry. Sorry if I reopened this wound"

Sullivan: "I think it's a wound that will never close"

A few tears were falling from his eyes and Andy instinctively wiped them away with his thumb and he hugged her. Then the alarm went off and Andy would have to get out of her, but Sullivan told her he would go instead of her, it was right that the little girl found her mother when she woke up. Sullivan left the office and Andy went to lie down next to her daughter who woke up after 10 minutes. As soon as the child woke up he found her mother beside her and the first thing he asked about her was where Sullivan was.