Chapter 9

When Robert returned to the station, Luke was in his office waiting for him. Luke was telling him how things were improving at the station but Robert wasn't paying him much attention.

Luke has stopped talking. "Ok, what's wrong with you?"

Robert: "mmh? Nothing"

Luke: "Something happened, you're not listening to me"

Robert: "You're right, something happened.."

Luke: "Are they okay? Are you worried about them?" Referring to Andy and Camilla.

Robert: "They are better. Earlier when I was taking Camilla home she said in kindergarten that I was her father and she asked me if she can call me dad"

Luke: "Ohh, I understand. What did you tell her? How do you feel?"

Robert: "What do you want her to tell her? I told her it's okay if she wants to call me that. I don't know how I feel"

Luke: "Does Andy know?"

Robert: "No, Camilla doesn't want to tell him, for now it's our secret"

Luke: "What is it that worries you?"

Robert: "I hadn't heard of me being called dad for years, it was weird but also nice. I'm just afraid that.. I don't know. I'm not replacing Andy and Camilla with Claire and Isabel, am I?"

Luke: "You're not replacing them. They'll always be in your heart. You've found someone to love. You love Andy and his daughter and they love you. You need to talk to Andy"

Robert: "And what if everything is ruined by talking?"

Luke: "What if you're both happy at last?"

Robert: "Somehow I told her that I am in love with her, I told her while she was sleeping"

Luke shook his head. "Maybe next time tell her when she's awake. How long have you not been to the cemetery?"

Robert: "A few months"

Luke: "Ok. Now that the shift is over you go there, it will help you clear your mind a bit"

Robert: "I can't go there, I promised Camilla that I would go to them"

Luke: "Call Andy and tell her where you are going, she will understand and you will find an excuse for the baby" Robert nodded and was left alone in his office.

Robert walked into his office with the phone in his hand thinking about what to say to Andy but above all what to say to the child since he would not go to them as he promised. To Andy surely he would have told the truth about where he was going but to Camilla he could not tell. He took a deep breath and then called her.

Andy: "Hey"

Robert: "Hey.. I have to tell you something"

Andy: "Is everything ok?"

Robert: "Yes, yes, everything is ok, but as soon as I finish the shift I will not go to you as I promised Camilla"

Andy: "You don't have to come every time"

Robert: "I'm glad to come to you, but.. it's just that I'm about to go to the cemetery to see Claire and Isabel"

Andy: "Hey, okay, don't worry"

Robert: "I'll call Cami before she goes to sleep if that's okay with you"

Andy: "Call when you want"