Benny- Sisters boyfriend - part 8

Me,James and Lucy were sitting at the table in Lucy's kitchen. I held an unopened envelope in my hands. It came through the letter box that morning, addressed to me, from Benny.

"Are you going to open it or what? Asked James.

My hands shaked as I opened the envelope and looked inside. It was a letter.

I read aloud so James and Lucy could hear what it said.

Dear Y/n

I'm sorry that I may have messed with your feelings. I knew I had to make my choice and I did. I love Beth. And I'm not sorry for it. That's just how I feel and I can't control who I love. Me and Beth are getting married in june. But we don't want you there because things are already complicated enough. I don't want to make it worse. I don't want to see you. I don't want to talk to you. I just want to remove you from my life and pretend that nothing ever happened for Beths sake. And for your sake. You will be better living your life without me in it. I'm hurting you for your own good.

Benny

"So what are going to do?" Asked Lucy

"There isn't much I can do" i said " he loves Beth and I can't change that and he clearly doesn't want to see me again"

"But his feelings for you can't have just disappeared" said Lucy " that's not how it works"

"They have, he doesn't care about me anymore, he doesn't give a shit about me"

"Why don't you just... talk to him" said Lucy

"There isn't anything I can say and he said he doesn't want to talk to me" I said

"Maybe, but you'll never get to be with him if you don't try"

" Let's just face it, it's not gonna happen"

I got up and ran to my room. Tears trembling down my cheeks.

Benny's pov

I picked up the phone and held it to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Benny you peice of shi..."

"Woah woah!" I said " Lucy?"

"Yeah and you have some nerve Benny!"

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Oh don't play dumb Benny you know what you did!"

"No I don't so if you could please tell me..."

"Fucking hell could you be anymore ignorant!" She screeched.

"Is this about Y/n?"

"What you did was cruel and vile and you don't deserve the luxury of seeing her anyway!" She cried " she is the kindest person I know and you ripped out her heart and spat all over it you narcissistic, backstabbing dick!"

Stactic rang through the phone as she hung up on me. I stood with the phone still to my ear. What just happened? I get that she's mad as me for upsetting Y/n but I couldn't have been that bad. I assumed she would have moved on. What did I do?

I don't understand.

I put the phone back on the holder and turned around to lean against the wall.

"Benny?"

I looked up to see Beth standing in the doorway, her arms folded and her expression concerned.

Then it hit me.

I know now.

I know what happened.