Benny- 14 days - part 4

Y/n pov

My consciousness slowly rose back to normal as my senses became aware of my existence. Awakening from my silent coma. The beeping of a heart monitor matched the rhythm of my heart. I could feel the IV drip in my arm, pumping me of liquid that's doing god knows what, probably keeping me alive.

I forced my heavy eyelids open but barely kept them unlached because they slammed shut before I could even get a glimpse of my surroundings. Trying again I opened my eyes, this time keeping them pinned wide.My body felt numb like I hadn't moved in years. I wriggled my toes and fingers letting the tingling sensation fade away as my body revived from its slumber. I swallowed hard, wincing as pain inflicted on my throat. It felt like sandpaper.

"Hey darling" I heard a recognisable voice speak.

I moved my head to follow the voice and saw Benny sitting in a chair next to my bed. He looked sleep deprived.
Dark, eyebags under his eyes,his hair was messy and unwashed and if I remembered correctly, he was still wearing the same clothes from his chess tournament.

"What happened?" I asked "Benny what's going on?"

"You collapsed, we rushed you to the hospital to get you seen to"

"And?"

"And?"

"What did they say?"

He sighed and rubbed his hand over his temples. He clicked his fingers which was something he usually did when he was either annoyed or nervous.

"Well, it's kind of getting worse but it's nothing to worry about dear"

"You're just saying that to not scare me" I sat up in the bed " if there is something wrong with me I want to know Benny"

I looked into his melancholy eyes, filled with sorrow and distress. I knew he was just trying to save me from all the pain but now wasn't the time for protecting me from the truth. The truth hurts, but lying only makes it more painful later on.

"Your condition is worsening, and the doctors think the only thing to help you is a heart transplant..."

"And there are no donors"

"We will find a donor" Benny held my hand,rubbing his thumb over my knuckles " I don't care what it takes I will make sure you get to live the rest of your life like every other person in this world"

"Benny not everyone gets to live out their lives. Some people die young and that's just how the world works. You need to accept that I might not be here in a couple weeks time. And that's not your fault, or my fault, the doctors fault or anyones fault. That's just how my life has set out to be"

"But it doesn't have to be that way. We can find a way to stop it"

I shook my head in denile. Tears trickling down my face.

"Benny just let it go, let me enjoy the time I have left,please. I don't want to spend the rest of my life rotting in a hospital bed, getting pumped with medicine and monitored"

"No!Don't tell me to give up like all of this is meaningless! I'm not giving up on you!" He voice cracked a little bit as he spoke.

"Alright.But please, just get me out of here"

"...ok, ok" he nodded " I'll get them to discharge you and we'll drive home"

"Home?what about the tournament?"

"Screw the bloody tournament" he spoke " I want to be with you"

I reached foward and sunk into his arms. His shirt quickly became wet with tears but he didn't seem to care. I felt safe in his arms. Like he was protecting me from harm. He could protect me from anything in the world but this. This was something inside me that he couldn't control. As much as he wanted to help we both knew there was nothing he could do exept be there for me.