Benny- Best friends

I sat playing with my bunny on my lap as my mother tied my hair into two braids, trying white ribbons on the ends. I thought it looked ghastly. But I wasn't going to argue with my mother.

When we arrived, I walked onto the hall full of chess boards, looking around at all the grown ups. Everyone was so big! And I couldn't see any other girls around.

"Miss Y/ln?" A man came up to me.

"Yes?" My mother answered for me.

"Table 5"

"Alright go on then dear"

I went over to the table numbered five, and there was a little boy sitting there. He looked a little older than me and was much taller. His dirty blonde hair in desperate need of a trim. His clothes a little baggy on him.

I hopped up onto the chair opposite him.

"Hi" I said shyly.

"Hello" he said " You're playing white"

He started a clock that sat on the side. I was a little alarmed by this.

"Wait- what's the clock for?"

"Haven't you played?"

"Yes, but it's my first tournament"

"Well, you press this button after you've done your move, it starts my clock" He explained.

"Ok"

I sat, swinging my legs and fiddling with the bottom of my dress. The boy I played earlier came and sat down next to me.

"Hi" He said " You play well"

"I lost"

"You're still good"

"My mother says different" I said " She thinks girls shouldn't play chess"

"Then why did she bring you here?"

"Because she said she would rather let me do what makes me happy, than have me live in misery trying to be something I'm not"

"She seems nice"

"What's your name?"

"Benny Watts"

"I'm Y/n Y/ln"

"How old are you?"

"I'm eight"

"Oh I'm ten" he said "I have to go, I'll see you later" He ran off.

8 years later

I slipped on my pumps, rushing out of the door and down the street, running straight into his chest, out of breath.

"Woah! No need to run" Benny chuckled.

"You made me late!"

"Yeah, but no reason to give yourself a heart attack" We started walking down the street.

"Ha, ha very funny Benny, we both know I would last longer than you in a track race"

"Oooooh what is it again? Thirty chest compressions and two month to mouth?"

"You would just use that as an excuse to feel up my tits"

"You may be my best friend but I can't deny you have good tits" He looked down at my chest.

"Hey! Eyes up here!"

"So, are you going to the US championship this year?" He asked.

"Maybe"