Benny- Promises- Part 3

I sat at my chess board again. Chess was the only thing that kept me sane. Y/n was in the bedroom, doing something, I think doing a crossword puzzle or something.

As much as I tried to keep my attention on the board I couldn't help but think about Y/n. I just wanted us to be back to the way we were.

"Benny!" She giggled " Stop doing that!"

"Why should I?"

"Stop" She smiled.

"I think I'll just do this instead"

I kissed her lips softly.

"I love you"

"I love you too"

I groaned, getting up from the table and wandering into the bedroom. Standing at the doorway. She looked so sweet when she concentrated. The doorbell rang and she hurried to the door to answer.

"Oh hi Harry" She said "What are you doing in New York?"

"Just visiting, thought I'd pop around and see how you're doing"

"Good, would you like to come in?"

"Thanks Y/n but I just popped in to say hi and drop this off for you" He handed her something.

"Oh well, thank you"

"See you around Harry"

She shut the door and scurried back into the house holding the package in her hands.

"What is it?" I asked.

She opened it and pulled out a video tape.

"A tape?" She said.

She went over to the tv and put the tape in, clicking a few buttons until it turned on.

I sat down on the sofa next to her as it played. It was a little video tape of us. It played little clips of when we first started dating, going to the beach, messing around. I knew what this was! Harry helped me pull it together for when I was going to propose to Y/n. Why did he bring it now? Maybe he thought it would help.

"I miss it so much" She said.

"Me too" I said.

"Why did you have to leave me?"

I turned to her " What? Baby I haven't left you, I'm right here?"

She kept looking at the tv.

"Y/n?" I asked her.

She didn't answer me, again.

"Y/n you can't just say that and fuckung ignore me"

The phone started ringing, so I went over to pick it up.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Benny" Beth said.

"Beth this isn't the best time-"

"No it's the right time"

"Beth what are you-"

"Look Benny, you told me a lot of your problems, and now I want to tell you one of mine" She said " Please Benny, I really need to get this off my chest"

"Now?"

"Yes"

I didn't want to listen right now, I wanted to talk with Y/n, we were getting to talk about the thing I've wanted to talk about for ages, we might finally be able to get on good terms again. But Beth did help me a lot, and it would be rude to say no.

"Ok, fine, but be quick please"

"Benny, I see dead people" She said.

"What?"

"I see ghosts"

"That's mad Beth, what the hell are you talking about?"

"Benny, you have to understand, like I did for you"

I groaned " Ok fine"

"I see them all the time, and I help them. But most of the time, they don't even know they're dead"

"Ok?"

"I just want you to know Benny, I just wanted to help you, and you have to figure out the rest on your own, there are other people that need me"

"What Beth-" I started but she hung up on me.

What the hell was she talking about?

"Y/n, I think we should talk about this" I went up to her.

She didn't answer me, her eyes locked on the TV screen.

"Y/n for gods sake will you please stop ignoring me for once and just-"

I felt my whole body go cold. That's not possible. It can't be.

"I miss your smile so much Benny" She spoke to the screen.

No. No. There is no way.

"I'm-dead?" I spat out.

It all made sense. The weeks of ignoring and not talking. She couldn't see me. To her I wasn't even there. Come to think of it, no one had really acknowledged me in any way. Only Beth because- She was the only one who could see me.

I didn't even make it to that dinner. Because I was dead. I died in the car crash and I've been haunting my girlfriend ever since, because I didn't know I was dead.

"I miss you so much" Y/n sobbed " Why did you have to leave me?"

I went over to her, watching the tears cascading down her lovely cheeks.

"I- I'm sorry baby"

"You promised me" She cried " You promised you would never leave me"

"Baby, I'm so sorry"

I wanted to comfort her, but I couldn't. There was nothing I could do.

I had broken my biggest promise to her.

                               A/n

               I hope you enjoyed!