Newt- Prison mate

A/n: Not set in the maze. Idk what actual prisons are like I kind of just made it up so...

I wriggled in my bed, trying to get comfortable but it wasn't the easiest. Prison beds weren't exactly the most comfortable, but I guess it was better than sleeping on the floor. I looked up at the cracked ceiling above, imagining it was a big, bright blue sky. The yellow sun beaming down and candy floss clouds flouting around in different shapes.

"Up!"

The officer went around unlocking all of our rooms.

Ok, so your stereotypical interpretation of prison is probably a little wrong. Well, it sort of depends on how bad your sentence was. The less bad it is the more lenient they are with you. People with a really long time have it worse, they sleep in literal prison cells. My room, was fairly decent. It was smallish, with cold concrete walls and floors. I had a bed, a toilet, a sink, a mirror, a set of draws and a bedside table. It kind of just looked like a bedroom with a toilet in the corner. There weren't bars, there was just a door with the upper half having a big window. I wasn't able to leave as it was locked from the outside.

I walked along with the other women to breakfast. Pilling into the cafeteria and lining up. I grabbed a tray and walked along to see what was on the menu for today. The lady put a glass of water, bacon sandwich and an apple on my tray. I walked away to go and sit down. My only friend, Lucy, was sat down already so I went over to sit next to her.

Basically, how it works here, is they separate the men and women. But it doesn't matter how long your sentenced for, your in the same place as everyone else. All the woman in one area and all the men in the other.

"I swear they don't cook this bacon properly" She said poking her sandwitch.

"Probably not" I shrugged.

"I got food poisoning last time, I'm not sure I want to eat it"

"Well, you only have what? Two more years then you're out?"

"Yeah"

"Think of yourself lucky, I'll have to spend another year in here without you"

"Oh don't say it like that it's not that I want to leave you own your own" She pouted.

"I know" I sighed " it just sucks, you're my only friend here. It sucks that I'm even here in the first place I mean I've missed out on a lot of my teenage hood"

"But when you get out you'll be an adult and get to do whatever you want"

"I guess"

"Oh shit look! Boys!" She pointed.

Through the window we could see the boys walking in a unison line, through the yard. We see the boys every so often, but they stay in the opposite end of the prison to keep us separated.

"That one is fit!" She said.

"Please! He's probably like twenty five" I scoffed.

"He's still fit tho"

"Lucy you're seventeen" I reminded her.

"Yeah, eight years isn't that bad"

"Keep telling yourself that"

One of the officers walked into the hall and everyone went silent, turning to look.

"Alright ladies" He spoke " I know this usually doesn't happen, but there has been a little bit of an issue in the male cafeteria, so they will be eating here with you until further notice. I suggest that you don't start any trouble because they're will be consequences for those who start riots"