Benny- Promises

A/n: New series!!!
Beth Harmon is not a chess player in this series.

Benny's pov:

I sighed, tightening my hands around the steering wheel. My knuckles turning a very pale shade of white. Traffic was infuriating. Especially when there was somewhere you needed to be.

I checked the time on my wrist watch, frowning. Fifteen minutes late. Being late was not an option for today, but I didn't exactly have a choice. It's not like I could just wave my hand and make the traffic disappear.

Today was a very important day. Y/bd.
My darling girlfriends birthday. I had organised a dinner at a restaurant, a little fancier than usual, to treat her. She deserved it. She works so hard, keeping the house clean, looking after me, attending my tournaments with me. The least I could do was show up to our dinner on time!

But of course, traffic doesn't care. It couldn't give a god damn shit if I'm late or not. But I did.

I pressed my foot down on the pedal again, moving foward about a meter before stopping again. I had actually debated getting out of the car and walking the rest of the way, but I couldn't leave the car, I couldn't afford it.

Annoyed, I leaned back into the car seat. She's probably sitting there, wondering where I am. If it wasn't for her work I would have drove her there myself, at least then, we would have been late together.

Honking of car horns and scratching wheels caught my attention. Before I could even react, a car slammed into mine.

Two months later

The faint clicking sound of the chess peices moving on the board, was the only sound that could be heard in my little apartment. Maybe there was other noises, but I was too concentrated to notice them. This new opening was driving me mad. I needed to learn it, but it was just so technical.

I got up from my chair, deciding that I would rest for the night. Y/n was sitting on our excuse for a sofa, reading a book quietly. I didn't want to disturb her, she looked so peaceful. Walking over to the door, I grabbed my hat and coat, putting them on.

"I'm going out dear, don't wait up for me" I said before walking out of the house.

I headed over to my usual bar. It was the one I always went to when I just needed to think and relax. I had been thinking a lot lately, mostly about chess. I hadn't been to a tournament for three months, and a big one was coming up soon. Having to prepare for it was hard, I was sitting at my chess board majority of the day, doing nothing else.

I sat on a bar stool, and tapped my finger on the hard wood. My ring often hitting it and making a clacking sound.

"Hello" Someone sat down next to me.

I looked up to see a woman had sat down next to me. She was pale, with an Auburn Bob of hair falling to her shoulders. Her eyes were big and brown, full of curiosity.

"I have a girlfriend" I said plainly.

"Calm down, I wasn't going to flirt or anything I just said hi" She looked taken back.

"I don't know you"

"I know that"

"Why are you talking to me?"

"You looked like you needed someone to talk to, and I happen to be a good listener" She smiled " Drink?"

She got two drinks from the barman, handing one to me which I took, drinking it.

"So, what's been troubling you?" She asked.

"How do you know of something is troubling me? Are you like psychic or something?"

"I have my ways"

"I still don't know who you are"

A light sigh left her lips and she placed her beer bottle down on the wood, stretching her hand out towards me.

"Beth Harmon, pleased to meet you"

I took her hand, still a little sceptical about her, and shook it.

"Benny Watts"

"So Benny, what's on your mind?"

"Um, not that it's any of your concern" I took a swig of my drink.

"I'm just trying to help. When was the last time someone sat down with you and genuinely listened to what you had to say? And I mean actually listened, took in everything, understanding you and appreciating you"

"Not for a while"

"So go on then" She motioned to me with her hands "Spill"

"Ok, I guess. A couple of months ago I was in a car crash that wasn't my fault, which made me extremely late to my girlfriends birthday dinner. By the time I finally managed to get there, having to walk on foot because my car had to be taken to a garage to get repaired, she was sitting there alone. I felt like such a dick, eventhough it wasn't really my fault, I couldn't help but blame myself for it. She just, got up, and left, walking past me"

"Why did you think she was so upset?"

"Because, she grew up in a family that didn't really care about her" I explained " Every birthday she had, was just forgotten about, she had to spend it all alone. So I promised her that I would make sure, she would never spend another birthday alone. And I broke that promise that day"

"Well, I don't think that's the reason your sad now, that was a while ago"

"No, it leads up to why I'm sad now. Ever since then my relationship with her has just been, terrible. We hardly talk to eachother, we never eat together, it's just like where living in the same home but not really living together"

"Maybe you should just, not push anything to fast. See if she will come to you about It"

"Maybe" I sighed " Thanks, for that, It felt good to let it all out"

"Your welcome" She smiled handing me a peice of paper " Incase you want to talk again, my phone number"

She walked out of the bar, leaving g me sitting there actually feeling a little better. So I picked myself up, and headed out of the bar to go back home.

When I got home, all the lights were out. I put my coat and hat back and headed into the bedroom to find Y/n sleeping peacefully in bed. I got myself undressed and slipped into the covers, trying not to disturb her.

"Goodnight my love" I whispered before falling asleep.