Benny- Where are you? - Part 2

The next day was even worse. It felt like it was dragging incredibly slowly. Mocking me. My attempts to distract myself by playing chess had failed as my eyes kept flicking back to the phone, praying it would ring.

Even, glancing to the door, hoping for it to open and seeing her standing there. But neither happened.

I choose to take a shower instead to hopefully relax me. I also wasn't very clean. The warm water almost sent me to sleep when I stood under it. I had to hold my hand on the wall to balance myself so I wouldn't fall.

When I was finished, I wrapped a towel around my lower half and collected the mail from the post box.

The annoying sound of the phone ringing made my body freeze. Would it be her? Would it be Mr June?

I dropped all my mail and picked up the phone in my shaking hand.

"Hello?"

"Benny, hi"

"Oh, hi Beth" I said a little disappointed.

"Is something wrong?" She asked.

"No, I just was, hoping it was someone else"

"Oh I'm sorry Benny, I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now"

"Excuse me?"

"Y/n, I heard that she went missing, it's awful news, I hope they find her soon"

"Oh, right, so do I"

"How are you?"

I looked around at the apartment, clothes all over the floor, bottles, food packaging, the sink full of dishes.

"I'm managing"

"Are you sure? I could come over and help if you wanted. I know that she always did the housework"

"No Beth, it's fine really" I told her.

"Alright, well, you take care of yourself Benny"

I put the phone back down on the holder and it rang again instantly so I picked it up again.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Benny, hi it's Mr June, We have a lead"