Chapter 85 - 4.22 Third Blue Star - Trap?

Inside the car.

There's a mature Gui Lan in the mirror's reflection. Yun Li was astonished that he immediately looked behind him and saw that very same face from the mirror. This is Gui Lan's appearance not Hei Lan's. Yun Li's intuition was right. Hei Lan was indeed Gui Lan. But he was confused, just before he was so sure that the one on the reflection in the mirror is a different face but Gui Lan didn't use any ability. He heard no other movement aside from Gui Lan moving in the back seat.

​​

Sigh~~ It was a long sighed. "I thought it would be A'Ye who would recognized me first. But it seems that he couldn't see me as clearly as I though he would." whispered Gui Lan.

Seeing Yun Li's bewildered expression, Gui Lan decides to explain it. But before that he laid back on the free seat staring at the car's ceiling. His explanation was like narrating a book. His voice and tone is monotonous.

"The reason you suddenly saw my real appearance is because the effect of the authority I've used faded the moment you were so sure that Hei Lan is me. I've put authority on everyone so that the appearance they could see before them is not me Gui Lan but Hei Lan's appearance. As for the reason why is it because of that man?"

Yun Li understood which man Gui Lan was talking about. "Is it that person who almost got everyone killed 15 years ago?"

"Yes. I failed to kill him. He is still alive. Don't tell anyone about this. Not about that man or about me. Especially avoid A'Ye. He might read your mind and find out the truth. Then I would have any more fun things to do by then~" said Gui Lan as he smiles.

"I will follow your orders, Young Master." replied Yun Li.

Then he remembered the scene where the prime minister said to stop looking for Gui Lan. At that time Xie Ye had almost gone crazy if not for the rest of the adults calming him down. Since that day Xie Ye rarely meets the Prime Minister. He is afraid that he might end up killing the old man. Thinking about this carefully the prime minister must have angered Xie Ye on purpose. This is to avoid meeting the young man in case his mind was read. After all, the prime minister was most likely informed about Gui Lan's current situation.

"Who else knew about this?" asked Yun Li.

"Father. Old uncle Ke. Professor Sen and then you. Only four of you. It would be better if only a few people knew about me. At least until I eliminate that man from before. Anyway forget about this for now. I'm going to sleep. Wake me up when we're back to the institute." said Gui Lan who closed his eyes. He was so tired that he fell asleep right away.

Yun Li whispered, "Sleep well, A'Lan."

Ever since this day Yun Li rarely escorted Hei Lan in visiting the case. He only does the job when Xie Ye is not around. Every time he gives excuses that he is busy with work or something. Xie Ye rarely met Yun Li since this day. The latter didn't think deeply about this as he was focusing all his energy in observing Hei Lan.

After spending a few more times together that the awkwardness between Hei Lan and Xie Ye faded. Though they still continue to bicker most of the time, there are times they even eat meals together. Gone out to look after the case with just the two of them. The feelings between them were visibly ambiguous that even the other people from the unit notice it. But no one dared to comment after all one is a cold hearted man who doesn't even smile and the other is an always smiling person with personality problems. Both were scary and even stronger than any of them. They could sometimes even see their own Chief Yi getting bullied by Hei Lan so often.

On the other hand Xie Ye didn't dare cross the line he made between him and Hei Lan as he still hasn't found proof which evince that Hei Lan is Gui Lan. He chose to retain the distance between the two of them. Instead he treated Hei Lan as an intimate close friend. But everyone could obviously see that Hei Lan likes him. After all this madman's indifferent eyes only softens when looking at him.