Chapter 99: What is Left

Luffy was completely out of it. His eyes white and mouth wide open, frozen like a rock from the shock of seeing his brother die in front of him. You were still staring at your palm, now empty.

"There's something I can still do...right?" you thought numbly.

Something purple shone brightly from the corner of your eyes, and you looked down to see a purple orb glowing faintly. It reminded you one of Ace's red balls from his necklace. You didn't know why you extended your hand toward the orb and brought it close to your mouth. You didn't know why you started to whisper a chant to it, Steven coming out of the pockets of your pants.

You glanced blankly at the wooden doll whose little arm turned into vines, encircling the purple orb and covering it with a thin layer of a tree's bark. You watched as Steven lifted the orb, and placed it inside the wound Ace got from the magma bitch. As if it pulled you out from your trance, you whipped your head at Luffy.

"LUFFY!" you screamed, running and grabbing him by his shoulders. "Luffy! Stay with me! Luffy!"

You shook him, trying to get him out from this stance. However, he wasn't responding at all. You growled under your breath, looking back to see a huge wave of magma coming right at you. Akainu appeared from it, and swung his fist backward to hit you. Only for Marco to stand in front of you and kick the appendage.

"I'm not gonna let you kill them!" snarled the Phoenix, blue flames engulfing him.

"(y/n)-san! You need to run!" yelled Jimbei.

"Move out of the way!" yelled Akainu, pushing Marco with the help of his Magma. Marco gritted his teeth, holding on.

"The war is not over yet! Take Ace's brother and our sister with you, Jimbei!"

"All right!" replied the fishman, helping you to stand up.

You gave Luffy a piggyback ride, and started to run with Jimbei in the direction of the bay. Even if your breath was heavy, and that you felt like you were about to collapse in any minute, you couldn't bring yourself to let him go. You will escape from Marineford with Luffy, not matter what.

The fishman protected your back as you avoided to encounter Marines. You looked over your shoulder to see that Akainu was chasing you. He was death set in killing you and the young boy.

"(y/n)-san! Keep running!" Jimbei told you.

"As if I would stop!" you snapped.

You glanced back one last time, and saw that Akainu was now fighting against Whitebeard. That guy was protecting you. Again. You clenched your eyes close, gritting your teeth in frustration. After everything that happened, you failed. And you were all so close.