Death Row

Inside the car--Present,

Disha : Do you think we will ...

Charles : Nothing will happen Disha...

Disha : Oh my...You are bleeding

Charles : (Touching the side of his forehead) It's nothing..

Disha : What you mean it's nothing..Show me.. Where is the first aid kit (Starts searching the car)

Charles : Come on Disha, it's just a small scratch..

Disha : Yeah..Yeah..I can see...(Taking the First aid kit out) Bear the pain okay..(Dipping the cotton in an antiseptic lotion) hold on to something (Charles nods and gritting his teeth to control the pain)..

Charles : Ahhh!!!!

Disha : Am sorry..am sorry...

Charles : It's fine...(Disha slowly applies the antibiotic ointment on the wounded area and covers it with a band aid)

Disha : This might hold for few hours. (Charles nods by touching the band-aid)

Charles : Thank you..(Staring at Disha while holding her hand) Humm...Let me go and check the condition of the car..

(Charles getting down from the car through windshield)

Close the window and stay inside the car, I will be back...Okay.?

Disha : Do you really have to go...It's so dark and we don't even know where we are.

Charles : I will be fine...(Disha looks down) Look, count till 100, I will be back within 75.

Disha : Promise.

Charles : Yeah...(Smiles and leaves)

After few minutes,

Disha : 66....67....68...69....70....71....(looking through the windshield) 72....(stops counting) 73...7...4....74.....s...e...v...e...n...t...y.......f...i...v...e.. (worried tone) 75...
Where did he go.

(Charles knocks)

Charles you frightened me. (Opening the windshield)...What happened.

Charles : (Shivers) I..tho...gnow.

Disha : Come here (moving to backseat) God, you are shivering badly (starts rubbing his palms) Look, you don't have to go. anywhere.. (Closing all the windows).

Don't close your eyes (Slapping his cheek) Don't...

Charles : I...I...sorry.

Disha : Why? (tears welling up in her eyes) Nothing is more important to me than your life... You are my friend. (Covers him with a spare blanket left in the car) How are you feeling?

Charles : (Grips her hand) GU...guud.

Disha : This is why I told you not to go outside... Did you find anything (Charles shakes his head)

(Slowly Disha starting to shiver)

Charles : (Looks worried) Di...Dis..ha                (Signalling her to come inside the blanket)

Disha : Am..F..F...Fine (Charles pulls her close and covering her with the blanket)

(Disha sitting before Charles with her back leaning against his chest)

Charles : (Holding her close and smiles) Yo..ur  hair  S..S..smells the s...same.

Disha : (Smiles) Re...ally.

Charles : (Resting his chin on top of her head) Is he tak...taking gu...guud ca.re of bu..?

Disha : (Stares at the windshield) He..Is...not ba..bad as I thu..thought he would be.

Charles : Hmm..Are...yu gappy.

Disha : I...I... (Charles coughs) hmm..What happen... (touching his forehead) oh no..Don't...Don't close your eyes.. Please.. Look at me idiot (slapping again)..

(Charles opens his eyes again)

Charles : I...won't die. (Rests his forehead against hers).