Chapter 99

"Hello ," Adriana heard Lucius' voice behind her as she took her iron pill while standing in Bruce's kitchen.  It was almost 9 in the evening.

"Hi," she said.

"Is Bruce here?" he asked her.

"No...apparently he's been out all day," she said.

"Apparently," he said. "So you went out?"

"Yes...but please don't tell Bruce," she said. "This day is taking forever to be over..."

The day had been long. The bad news on the television that morning happened. Transforming into Shade see Bruce had happened. Going through the police database and going to the Arkham coroner's office undetected.. It was so much. It felt like five days had passed.

"Alfred's been out too, fortunately. I went to my house earlier," she said. "I was only at my house a few hours...and I felt like I was going crazy. I kept expecting him to just walk through the door.. I don't know if I can live months like this. He thinks I'm dead. He has no reason to come back."

"If he's even alive, Adriana," Lucius said, as if he was reminding her. "And leaving for hours was a risk."

"Do you really think he is dead?" she asked. "Honestly?"

Lucius looked down at his hands, and then back at her. His expression told her, neither yes or no.

"If he was," Lucius said. "What would that change? What would you do?"

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"I mean, your future, Adriana," Lucius said. "What would your opions be? Hiding a fugitive in your home? How long do you think you could do that? He kidnapped and threatened to kill a child to get to the governor, and he would have killed her because the governor did not show up-"

"I always knew that we couldn't have a future, Lucius," she cut him off. She knew that Pavla would have died if she hadn't stepped in. "I always knew it. I just need to know if he is okay-"

"You don't need to know that," Lucius said. "That is not something you need to know, it is something you want to know. What is needed now is for you to focus on your future. Stress and worry about him will not benefit you, or your pregnancy."

Lucius' words hurt but they were the truth. Most likely, she would never see him again. And even if she did, she would be harboring a fugitive, once again. Her main focus needed to be her health, mental and physical. This desperate desire to want to know what happened would consume her if she didn't let it go as soon as possible.

She hoped that in some way he had changed. That he no longer felt the desire and need to create anarchy and chaos. It was hard to imagine him without those desires since they were almost all he thought about. She hoped that he was willing to leave it all behind and start over somewhere far away where no one knew him. And she would start over here. With her child.

When she thought of the possibility of him escaping, leaving the country, starting a new life..she felt an enormous weight lifted off of her shoulders. She wanted him to be free. She couldn't explain it to Lucius or herself, but she knew that he was alive. All she could do now was hope that he had gone away, freeing himself from his past.

.

.

.

"I'm awake," Adriana said to Bruce.

She heard him come into his bedroom, which she had continued to sleep in, even after Harri had left. Bruce insisted that he did not mind sleeping on the couch in his room.

"I'm glad I didn't wake you," he said to her.

She sat up in the bed and looked at him. He looked content and calm as he walked over to her and kissed her cheek.