Chapter 159

"What time is it?" Adriana woke up and yawned.

Bruce looked at the Rolex that was still on his wrist. 

"4:42 a.m." he answered.

"Mmm.." Adriana moaned against the pillow. "We were in here all evening...Alfred probably had to put Arsenio to sleep earlier.."

"It's fine," Bruce said and kissed her forehead. "He'll be up in a few hours."

"Did you sleep?" Adriana asked him. She had fallen asleep for a few hours and had awakened to him watching her sleep.

"No," he answered. 

She smiled. "You're just an energizer bunny right now, aren't you?" she yawned again. 

"You could say so," Bruce said. 

Truthfully, he was beginning to remember the past. It was the day that she had died and it was all echoing in his mind. He was anxiously waiting for the time to pass. In half an hour it would have come and gone, and then maybe he would feel like this was final and real.  He would finally realize he had been given a second chance.

It would also mean that it was time for a life to be lost. Someone would have to die in her place.

"Maybe you should get some sleep," she told him and lifted herself up onto her arms to kiss him.

"I will," he said. 

"Okay," she said, waiting for him to lay down. He was sitting up with his back against the pillows. "When?"

"I don't know," he said. "Maybe in an hour."

Adriana dropped the side of her face back down onto the pillow and stretched one of her arms out over the sheets covering his legs.

"So weird.." she said.

"What's weird?" he asked.

She tilted her head and looked up into his eyes. "My gift. It's completely gone," she told him. "Forever this time. I mean..I guess I've gotten used to this feeling from when I was pregnant and I couldn't hear thoughts. But this time..it's permanent and I know it."

Bruce caressed her arm that was stretched across his lap. 

"Now what will we do about the people harassing and threatening your freedom and identity?" she asked. 

"Don't worry your pretty head about that, my love," Bruce replied and looked straight ahead. "I will deal with it. I'd much rather have you here and healthy than have you gifted and suffering."

"Well.." she shrugged. "It was just hot flashes here and there. We probably could have waited."

"No," Bruce said and squeezed her arm gently. "It needed to be done."

"Mmm..." Adriana moaned again. "If you say so. I just wish there was more I could do to help you."

Suddenly, Bruce was overwhelmed with guilt. He was remembering very vividly how he had accused her of being the threatening to expose him to police. 

"You alright sweetie?" Adriana asked him.

"Yes," he said. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," she said sleepily.

"You're right, I should sleep," Bruce said and began to slide down into the covers with her. 

They kissed, covered by the sheets and Bruce wrapped his arms around her tightly. 

"Nooo..." she moaned into his chest.

"What is it?" he asked quickly.

"I don't feel like getting up," she said. "I have to pee."