Chapter 198

"Last one," Dr. Kapoor said as he took another vial of blood at the end of an extensive physical exam of Adriana.

"Great," Adriana said. 

"Any further fainting issues?" he asked her.

"Nope," she said. "Just the one time."

She thought about the previous night and all of Bruce's bothersome questions. He left that morning for work at the crack of dawn. Adriana didn't see him at all but she heard his footsteps pass by their bedroom and go into Arsenio's at around 6 that morning. She hated fighting with him. But his pressing questions were not ones she was ready to answer.

"Bruce asked about the Joker last night," Adriana said to Dr. Kapoor as he pressed a gauze onto her arm.

Dr. Kapoor looked into her eyes. "Oh?"

"He's...obsessed with finding him," Adriana said. "I thought he had given up on it but...it seems like it's gotten worse."

"Do you believe he needs counseling?" Dr. Kapoor asked. "Perhaps I could speak to him later. Jack is away until tomorrow. Bruce could come here."

"He needs more than counseling," Adriana said. "I need you to promise me something.."

"What would that be?" Dr. Kapoor asked.

"If Bruce ever catches on to what we've done here...with having the Joker here.." Adriana asked, knowing that Bruce was intelligent enough to eventually figure it out. 

"You would like me to keep the secret," Dr. Kapoor said.

Adriana looked down.

"No," Adriana said. "If he comes to you..by then it will be too late. He will figure it out eventually.  I'm going to talk to Lucius too...I think it's best for Jack to stay away from here and stay in the apartment. If Bruce comes here, you can tell him everything..just.."

"Everything?" Dr. Kapoor raised his eyebrows. 

"Bruce is an expert at reading body language, so he will know if you lie to him," Adriana said. "Tell him it was all my fault..that I made you help..after all it's kind of true. I don't want him to blame you."

"I understand," Dr. Kapoor said, hearing the hopelessness in Adriana's voice.

"And Dr. Kapoor, if you wouldn't mind, please...promise me one more thing," she said. 

"Anything, dear," Dr. Kapoor said and squeezed her hand.

"I need you to keep doctor-patient privilege," she said. 

Dr. Kapoor swallowed. 

"Of course," he said.  "If you think the situation is that...serious...I will have Jack's medical records removed from the premises immediately after your visit today."

"Please," Adriana said and squeezed his hand to thank him. "I'd appreciate it."

"Of course," Dr. Kapoor said. "Now, tell me how you have been feeling."

"I'm fine," Adriana said. "Perfectly fine. I'm only here because Jack insisted, and we made a deal."

The doctor gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

"I'll be right back," Dr. Kapoor said and left with her blood samples before returning a few minutes later.

"Lab work is in process," Dr. Kapoor said. "I'll have some of your results in a few hours, and others within the next 72 hours."

"Okay," Adriana said. "Can I go?"

"Yes, we are done," Dr. Kapoor said.

Adriana stood to leave and felt herself hit with a wave of dizziness. It felt like she was so tired that it was making her nauseous. She caught her balance before walking to the door. The doctor's back was turned for a second and he didn't see her stagger.