Chapter 61

"Oh...you're back," Bruce said to Adriana with pleasant surprise. "And in...a robe."

She had rushed out of their training session a couple hours ago after getting a phone call and was now back. Bruce had no idea she had just been doing the Joker's bidding.

"Yeah..." Adriana walked into his penthouse, brushing past him.

"It's uh..." he spoke, distracted by the fact that she didn't appear to be wearing anything underneath the satin material. "Very nice. Any particular reason you're wearing a...very thin robe and wet hair out in the middle of winter?"

"I just.." she said as Bruce noticed how badly she was slurring her words. "Hadda scrub my fucking hair for an hour..."

"Alright..." he said in a daze, staring at her chest through the thin fabric. Bruce watched the fabric clinging to her skin as she turned and walked away from him.  

The doorbell ringing broke his focus, and he walked out of the den to see who was at the door.

"Hi, can I help you?" Bruce asked the man standing there, who looked like he was in a rush. One of the hotel's security guards was with him.

"Mr. Wayne," the guard said. "I apologize for interrupting your evening. This man is a cab driver and claims that his fare mentioned something about coming here to see you-"

"It could be a misunderstanding," the cab driver interrupted. "A blonde chick, she owes me $24, she just got out of the cab, didn't pay-"

"Not a problem," Bruce said and opened a small wooden box on the table by the door, that contained cash for tips for service workers. "Here you go."

"Oh...thank you," the taxi driver said looking at the five twenty-dollar bills Bruce handed him.

"Have a good night," Bruce said.

"Oh and she left this," the driver handed Bruce an empty tequila bottle. "Good night."

Bruce closed the door and looked down at the bottle in his hand. Adriana was nowhere in sight. Bruce walked through his penthouse until she found her at the bar cart in his den. She had poured herself a shot of whiskey.

"Is this yours?" Bruce asked.

She turned her head and looked at the bottle.

"Oh...oh yeah," she said and picked up the shot glass.

"Did you uh.." he held up the glass bottle. "Drink all of this?"

"Mmm.." she said and sipped the whiskey. "No..I definitely spilled...least half in that cab.."

"Oh," Bruce said, having a bit of trouble understanding the slurred words. "You feeling okay?"

"Great," she said and walked over to the couch to sit. "Oh shit... forgodda pay the..cabbie."

"I took care of it," he told her.

 "I'll pyaib...back." she said sincerely. 

"Pardon?" Bruce said, not able to understand what she had just said.

"The money," she said slowly, trying to enunciate. "I'll give it back-"

"No, no, no," he said. "Don't worry about that at all." 

"I...gotta sit down," she said and sat.

He walked over and sat beside her, still holding the empty tequila bottle. He watched her swallow the whiskey and sat the tequila bottle on the table in front of his couch. He was not sure what to say to her. His suspicions about her having a drinking problem seemed to be confirmed.