Chapter 109

"I'm making paella," Harri told Adriana.

"Sounds good," Adriana said. "Maybe I will make some for dinner, if i have enough time..otherwise we're eating pork chops."

She was rocking Arsenio gently in his carrier which was sitting on the empty washing machine. The dryer was going and she was waiting for it to finish.

"Mrs. Wayne," she heard Alfred come in to the laundry room behind her. "Surely you know that you don't need to be the one cooking or doing laundry."

"I know," she said. "I enjoy it though. Sometimes. Also, call me Adriana, please..Mrs. Wayne is so formal."

"I see, Adriana," Alfred said. "Well you are an excellent chef. If you wanted to begin cooking now I could take the baby."

"Okay," she replied. "He could go with Evelyn if you get busy."

"I'm fairly certain she's busy polishing her toenails," Alfred laughed and walked over to the baby who looked around with very alert eyes.

"Busy girl," Adriana said. "We work her too hard."

"Hi Alfred," Harri said over speaker phone.

"Hello, Harri," he said in a friendly tone.

"Okay," Adriana said. "I'll get started with dinner then."

Once Adriana was in the kitchen, she resumed her conversation with Harri.

"I hope we have saffron," Adriana said and looked through the spice rack. "If we dont-"

"Pork chops?" Harri guessed.

"There's no saffron.." Adriana said. "Which sucks because we have all the other ingredients..lobster tail and shrimp...kielbasa, mussels, prosciutto..."

"Tragedy," Harri said. "Maybe run to the store and get some."

"Oh.." Adriana said. "I've been kinda avoiding going out, but yeah I guess I could make a quick run."

"Are people hounding you?"

"Yes...taking pictures everywhere I go and asking me all types of personal questions. I really wasn't ready for all of this."

"Don't you have servants who can go get it for you?"

"Servants?" Adriana laughed. "I mean the chef usually does the grocery shopping but he's not here today because I gave him the day off."

"Oh.." Harri said. "So, pork chops it is?"

"Actually..." Adriana said and pulled out her phone.

There was a notice about a possible bank robbery. Movement had been detected in the safety deposit lock room, but no alarms had been tripped. Adriana had received notices like this for months and had to ignore them because she was pregnant and didn't feel it was safe to go out and fight. But now, things were different. She had to go, she wanted to go, she needed to go.

"I gotta go," Adriana said to Harri. "I'll talk to you later okay?"

"Sure," Harri said. "Bye sis."

.

.

.

Sure enough, there was a team of men trying to get into a safety deposit box. They couldn't see her, but she could see them. There was also another pair of men that she saw several yards away trying to enter a safe. Adriana wasn't sure which one she should go after first. She decided to go for the team at the box.

The bank was dark, since it was closed, and the only lights in the room were from the beams of flashlights that a couple of the guys were carrying. She didn't know how many were in the room as she crept by the door, but she guessed there were three, based on their voices. Before she could enter the room, she heard a struggle ensuing.