Chapter 161

"And this is?" Madame Twyla asked Bruce as he held out in front of her a sheet of paper.

"You now own the contents of a safe in a Switzerland bank," Bruce told her.

"And what exactly are the contents?" she wanted to know.

"Gold bullion," he told her. "Valued at 1.3 billion."

"Well," she smiled and snatched the paper from him. "This makes quite a dent on your debt to me. You're a quarter of the way there."

"It will take time for me to liquidate other assets," he told her. "This was the most liquid."

"Of course," she said, smiling at what she now owned. "And you have 29 days to get me the rest."

"I understand that," Bruce said. 

"Or this can all be undone," she told him.

Bruce clenched his teeth. He had every intention of paying this woman what he had agreed to. The threat made him disgusted, because he felt it was unnecessary. He had just given this woman the largest cash asset he owned. 

"Understood," he said, his voice like venom.

"Well," she said. "Looks like I will be visiting Switzerland soon. I've always wanted a chalet."

Bruce pressed his lips together, saying nothing more. He didn't care what she wanted to buy with her newfound wealth.

"So," she smiled and crossed her arms, very proud of herself. "How are you enjoying having your wife back?"

The question was innocent but Bruce didn't want to discuss his personal life with this woman. 

"It's what I wanted more than anything," he said. "And now I have her."

"Mhm," Twyla said. "Have you had any dreams?"

"Dreams?" Bruce asked.

"About the erased past?" she asked. "I would assume you have."

"Is this supposed to happen?" he asked her, remembering the tragic dream from the previous night. The dream memory of the paramedics rushing in to try in vain to save his wife.

"Usually," Twyla said. "It happens. And I imagine it will continue. You have a gifted wife, her gift affects you. It will intensify the dreams. Poor thing."

Bruce said nothing.

"Your wife died early this morning and early this morning you had a dream of it," she said to him. "What were you doing today?"

"I.." Bruce said, still reluctant to share anything with her. "I was in police custody."

"Then you shall dream of that," she said. "If you are intimate with your wife, it will make the dream more vivid."

Bruce huffed. "I can tolerate the dreams," he said. "The worst night is behind me."

"If you say so," Twyla smiled again. "Anything else you would like to know?"

Bruce realized that he had not originally even asked her a question, but he did have one.

"My sister in law," Bruce said. "She was with me when I came back but she doesn't remember any of it. I called her and she has no recollection."

"Did she say she didn't want to remember?" Twyla asked as though it was obvious.

"Well..." Bruce remembered Harri's words before they went through the dark portal. "Yes."

"Then there you go," Twyla said. "And I assume your wish that you wanted you wife to live again."

"I did," Bruce admitted.