Chapter 27

"How have you been?" Sidi asked Adriana.

"Great," Adriana said, and took a small sip of the lemonade Sidi had made.

"Your...abilities," Sidi made it clear what she was asking about.

"Everything is great with that," Adriana said. "Perfect even...I sleep so well. I can see the thoughts and memories I want to. I can basically tune everything out if I get tired of hearing things. It's been amazing."

Sidi's expression didn't change.

"Eventually you will have to get rid of my gift for good," Adriana said. "You're sure of that."

"I must say I am fully sure," Sidi said. ''When you are born your gift is complete. Nature made it that way. Even if it was unpleasant. Removing only parts of it, as we did since I could not complete treatment on you...makes your gift unnatural, disturbed and in time unpredictable. You would perish eventually."

"Ma, you are scaring her," Aymara said quickly.

"Perish?" Adriana said.

"Stormy weather," Sidi said. "It's unavoidable. If I could remove your gift now I would. But as I told you before it is risky. Physically, mentally, and more. You will keep in touch with me. You will visit us regularly so that I can see how you are doing."

"Okay," Adriana said. "That sounds like an order."

"It is," Sidi said.

.

.

.

"Keep going," Bruce said to Adriana as she took a rest from kicking and punching the bag he was holding stable in front of her.

"I'm winded," she said.

"We should work on building your stamina," Bruce explained. "To make up for what you lack in strength."

Adriana nodded with her fists pressed against her hips and felt a drop of sweat hit her upper lip. She raised her fists and hit the bag several times and then gave it a kick. She repeated the sequence over and over again until her arms gave out.

"Good job," Bruce offered as she sat on the floor.

"Who knew fighting was so tiring," she smiled.

"Tiring and dangerous," he smiled down at her.

"Dangerous for your opponents," Adriana laughed.

"I've taken several good beatings, a few stabbings, and gunshots against my armor," he explained.

"I know," she nodded, remembering.

"You know everything," he laughed.

"So how are things going with..." Adriana started to ask.

"The Joker," Bruce said and turned to begin hitting the bag, obviously frustrated. He realized she may already know the answers but was trying to get him to talk about it. "Not great. Fortunately, no one's been killed. Yet. He's disappeared, for now. No leads."

"I want to help," Adriana said as he swung at the bag.

"Help?" he paused and turned to her. "There's not much you can do."

"I know but," she stood up. "There has to be something."

"I don't think there is," he said. "Unless you want to watch through hours of surveillance footage to see if we missed something or read a bunch of documents on possible leads-"

"Well, that sounds boring," Adriana admitted.

"It is," he said. "And we've gone over everything several times."