Chapter 156

"Mr. Wayne?" Bruce heard a voice rouse him from his sleep.

He opened his eyes. He was in his office at Wayne Tower and he had fallen asleep at his desk. As soon as he opened his eyes he looked around, looking for Harri.

"Mr. Wayne?" the secretary said again.

"Yes?" he said and sat up straight.

His secretary stared at him for a moment.

"Paige Martin and Louis Craig are here from Elderwood Enterprises for your last meeting," she said, finally. 

Bruce was in a daze as he looked at the clock on his desk which also showed the date. It was the day before Adriana died. If he was to believe it, she would die at five a.m. the next morning. He was floored. 

"Mr. Wayne?" she said for the third time and Bruce looked at her. "They are waiting for you."

"Cancel..." he struggled to speak. He vaguely remembered this meeting which felt like ages ago. It was a productive meeting, and both parties had ended up making a lot of money from their agreements and arrangements, but Bruce did not care. "I need to cancel."

"Oh..should I tell them you can't make it?" the secretary asked.

"Yes," he told her. "Reschedule."

"Are you ill? Can I get you anything?" she asked with concern. 

Bruce looked her in the eye, contemplating what he was about to ask her next. Thinking she would look at him like he was crazy.

"I'm not ill," he said. "Would you do me a favor and put me through to my wife?"

Dialing the number through his cell phone was not something Bruce was sure he could do. He was sweating in his suit, which felt tighter than any suit he had worn in months. His body felt larger, stronger. Was this real? 

"Of course, Mr. Wayne," she said. "Anything else?"

Bruce felt himself hyperventilating and began to loosen his tie. 

"Are you sure you aren't ill Mr. Wayne? Can I bring you some water?" she asked with concern.

"I'm fine," he said. "You can go, please just put my wife through."

She nodded before leaving. "Right away."

Bruce leaned back in the chair after the door shut and looked up at the ceiling. His secretary didn't correct him and tell him that his wife was dead. Had it worked? Where was Harri? At home? She was likely on the phone with Adriana right now if that was the case.

His office phone rang, and he picked it up, his hand so sweaty it almost slipped out of his hand.

"Mr. Wayne I have your wife on the other line," the secretary said to him.

"Huuu...." Bruce felt a wave of air leave his lungs. 

The secretary was quiet for a moment. "May I put her through?"

"Pl..." Bruce felt his body and mind disassembling. "Please..please put her through."

The line went quiet and Bruce heard his own breathing loud in both ears. The wait seemed eternal. He felt an ache in his biceps, his muscles sore from exercise. A feeling he was no longer accustomed to. He gripped the phone, not knowing what to do.

"Hello?" he finally heard her voice say.

His entire body froze, and he held the phone receiver in a tight grip with both hands as his eyes shut immediately. He felt the teardrops hit the back of his hand above his cuff links.