Chapter 32

"Eight dollars for organic strawberries?" Adriana huffed and placed the small carton of berries into her cart. 

After leaving the French restaurant where she had lunch with Lucius she decided to stop by one of the downtown markets. It was located in a very wealthy area of the city, and even though Adriana could afford what she wanted due to the enormous amount of money Bruce had paid her, she was not used to these prices.

As she walked over to the meats, she began to remember her dream. A dream of a little boy, one that she didn't know. One she was beginning to feel that she loved.  She couldn't stop thinking of him. She almost felt attached to him and wanted to have the same dream again.

"Hi!" Adriana heard a child's voice. She snapped out of her daydream and looked down to see Pavla, the governor's six-year-old granddaughter.

"Pavla, hi!" Adriana said cheerfully. 

She had only met the girl once, when she and Gordon visited the governor's home to make sure all of his security team were honest and not working for the Joker. Adriana used her gift while there to examine all of their minds and found that they were all decent and loyal men.

"Hi, Adriana," Pavla smiled up at her and waved.

"Where's your mom-" Adriana started to ask.

"Pavla," the girl's mother came over. "I told you to stay by me. And where's your scarf?"

"I don't know," Pavla answered and touched the fur lined hood of her coat.

"Is that it, over there?" Adriana pointed to a baby blue scarf laying on the floor several feet away.

"Oh!" Pavla laughed before running over the scarf. "Thank you, Adriana."

"I met Pavla and the governor, I work with the police," Adriana realized she was reading the woman's thoughts, and she was wondering how the girl knew Adriana's name.

"Oh," the woman with wavy blonde hair replied. She had a very friendly face and demeanor. "What was your last name?"

"Navarro," Adriana replied and Pavla returned.

"Oh, right I think I saw your name on the guest list," she said. "I'm Olivia by the way."

"Nice to meet you," Adriana said. "What guest list?"

"For the Halloween function," Olivia answered.

"Oh right, your father did invite me," Adriana recalled the governor's invitation.

"Yes, but I had to go over the guest list and send out new invites to a different event," Olivia sighed. "Because of the bombing and everything going on in the city, it will be postponed and will instead be a masquerade ball.  Different date, same location though. So, no Halloween festivities."

"Great, thanks for letting me know," Adriana said. "Pavla's a sweetheart."

"She is," Olivia agreed and turned to Pavla, who was by her side again. "Time to go get the salmon."

"Ok," Pavla said. "Bye Adriana."

"Bye Pavla," Adriana replied. "It was nice meeting you, Olivia."

"You too," Olivia said and walked away.

As Adriana looked over the overpriced grass-fed ground beef, she decided to call her sister.

"Hey, Siri, call Harri," Adriana told her phone.

As the phone rang Adriana settled on a $24 package of ground beef and a similarly priced bulk package of beef livers.

"Hey, girl," Harri said cheerfully. "I'm working."