Chapter 79

"You just waking up?" Damien asked Adriana. He was standing at her front door with a pizza box. "No wonder you haven't answered my calls. I've been calling you since 9."

"What time is it?" she groaned and let him in.

"2 p.m.," he told her as she shut the door. "Nice robe."

"Ugh.." she groaned again and rubbed her forehead. "Slept late. Sorry. Why have you been calling me since 9?"

"Good news," he said opening the pizza box.

"Sausage, mushroom...and fire roasted tomatoes.." she said, unable to resist smiling. "My favorite."

"I know," he said. "Smells amazing."

"Yes," she said and grabbed a slice. 

He watched her begin to eat.

"Wait," she said, while chewing. "Are you trying to make me feel better about something? What happened?"

"Madame Twyla-" Damien started.

"That bitch still wants to press charges?" Adriana demanded.

"No, no," Damien tried to calm her. "But the best the lawyer could get her to agree on was two hundred."

"Two hundred thousand? Shit...I know the stuff in her shop wasn't worth nearly that much," Adriana said. "And she must have insurance."

"Can you afford it?" he asked.

"Yes...luckily.." Adriana said. She was still a millionaire even after spending hundreds of thousands on blue potion from Madame Twyla. Thanks to Bruce paying her for her first job working with him as the Batman. 

"That's great," Damien said cheerfully as she took another bite of pizza.

"Can't believe..all this crap...feels like a dream. Getting a mugshot taken and locked in a cell," she said.

"Yeah, I can't believe it either. Neither can Gordon," he said.

"Does he think I'm crazy?" she asked. "He didn't say much to me yesterday. I wonder if I'm fired...you know, from working with the police."

"No, he doesn't think that, come on. He's just concerned, like me," Damien said. 

"I think the madness stops now. I won't be using anything from that woman ever again. She gave me something and it made me so...reckless. I don't want to end up hurting someone, or myself. I felt like I lost control of myself in her shop," Adriana told him.

"You really shouldn't be taking any substances, Adriana," Damien said. 

"And I won't ever again," she told him and took a sip of the bottle of ginger ale he sat on the counter.

"Glad to hear it," he said and walked over to her to take the pizza from her hand.

"Dami-" she started to say but he had already kissed her.

She leaned back, surprised.

"Sorry," he said. "It's just..you look so beautiful right now."

"What?" she said and started to laugh. "Yeah I'm sure I look wonderful," she said and pushed her messy hair back. She couldn't help but think about the kiss he had just given her and how little she felt from it.

It felt like nothing. 

"You do," he said and went in to kiss her again but she moved her lips away.

"Damien...I appreciate everything you've done but..." she said.