Chapter 126

"There were eight of them," Bruce said to Adriana over the phone. "We had an agreement that you wouldn't-"

"I know," Adriana cut him off. "But I did it Bruce. I fought off eight guys and I'm totally fine-"

"Really? Because you sound like you're in pain," he said sternly.

"I'm just fine," she lied. Her neck ached horribly, but she knew it would be better in a few days. "I took a bad hit and fell but I'm just bruised. It's totally okay."

Bruce was quiet and she could tell that he wasn't happy. Adriana looked over at Arsenio who was in the middle of their bed playing with a soft stuffed polar bear that Alfred had given to him as a gift. Occasionally he glanced over at her and smiled as she made funny faces at him.

"I'm sorry," she finally apologized to Bruce. "I'll just stick to groups of six or less...but they were going to K-I-L-L someone who didn't pay them-"

"Four or less," he said, knowing she was spelling because Arsenio was there. "And a drug addict."

"Fine, four," she said. "Yes, he has a substance problem but that shouldn't matter...he didn't deserve what they were going to do. I had to stop them."

"Anything could have happened," Bruce said sternly.

"Sweetheart," she said. "I know. We are both vigilantes...there's risk. I promise...four or less. Unless it's really important-"

"No," he said. "Anything more than four, I will handle."

"Bruce," she sighed into the phone. "You're not exactly in the city right now. You're on another business trip to Dubai again. Anything more than 4 should just be ignored because you're not here?"

"The police will handle it," he said. "And even if they're not able to, that doesn't mean you should risk your safety like this. There's no need. The city is much safer now, safer than it ever has been. You don't need to handle every little thing, Adriana. Just turn the notices off once in a while."

"Do you?" she asked.

"Do I what?"

"Turn the notices off?"

He was quiet and she knew the answer was no.

"So why should I?" she asked, finally. 

Truthfully, she couldn't turn everything off. Bruce still didn't know that she had her gift back. She loved using her gift to help others and wanted to as often as possible. Even if she shut off her phone and ignored any and all notifications about incidents in the city..she couldn't silence her mind anymore and she didn't want to.

"Because I can filter out which incidents require my efforts and which don't," he said.

"You're saying that I can't?" she said with her voice slightly raised.

Arsenio was staring at her, he knew that she was speaking to his father and was able to sense the tension in her voice. She took a deep breath and tried to calm herself because she could feel the phone call turning into an argument.

"All I am trying to say is that you need to be more discerning," he said. "Injuring yourself on something frivolous might jeopardize a more important situation in the future."

She took another breath before speaking again, more calmly. "Okay," she said. "I see your point."

"Ma..." Arsenio said softly, looking at her with concern. He could tell that she was still upset.

"I'm okay, my sweet baby," she said and sat on the bed beside him, leaning down to give him a kiss. "Ah.." she moaned as her neck ached again.

"I don't want this to drive a wedge between us," Bruce went on. "You're injured and no matter how many times it happens, I still cannot get used to it. I just..want you to be safe. I love you, Adriana."