Chapter 166

"Maybe shoes this high weren't the best idea," Bruce said to Adriana as he helped her out of her heels. They had just arrived home from the club and Adriana still had the masked woman, who she hadn't mentioned at all to Bruce, in her mind.

"Ow," Adriana said and massaged her ankle. "I thought it was fully healed by now but I guess not. The shoes were fun though."

"Beautiful toes," Bruce said, and Adriana wondered if he had heard anything she had said.

"Thanks," she said.

"I'll get ice," Bruce said and left the living room to go to the kitchen.

Adriana wondered if maybe she was just being paranoid. Maybe the masked woman with the cat-eared headpiece was just another random club attendee. Maybe it was nothing...all in her head.

"There," Bruce said and pressed a plastic bag full of ice against the ankle when he returned.

"Thank you, my love," Adriana said and kissed him. She then heard a faint beep from her phone. "Oh...possible burglary...car parts warehouse by Avenue X-"

"I'll go," Bruce said to her and glanced down at the slightly swollen ankle.

"You sure?" she asked. "It sounds like something minor..I know you don't usually go for these things."

"I'm happy to do it," Bruce said truthfully and kissed her again. "I'll be back soon."

Once Bruce was gone Adriana leaned back on the couch, once again thinking of the stoic woman she had seen. Bold red lips, long deep brown hair, swift and discreet as the moved through the crown to leave the club.

She sat upright and left the penthouse, walking barefoot to the elevator and went down the medical facility. It was nearly 1:30 in the morning so she was sure she wouldn't be a disturbance if she was very quiet.

Adriana went to the facility and got a strong compression wrap from one of the supply rooms. When she turned around from taking it from the drawer, she saw the Joker standing behind her. He was shirtless and wearing the loose blue pants he was given, of which he had several pairs.

"I thought I heard something," he told her. "And here we have the source."

"Sorry," Adriana apologized. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"I was awake," he told her. "Using the infrared machine."

"Oh," Adriana said, trying to keep her eye level appropriate and she could tell he was trying to do the same. She was still wearing her strapless leather clubbing outfit and was barefoot. "Well...since you're awake...something happened tonight....regarding the mystery woman."

He crossed his arms and smiled. "You saw her."

"Wow..." she said. "Are you sure you can't read minds?"

"I read faces," he told her. "What happened?"

"Well...first off I can't be sure it was her," Adriana told him and walked past him and out of the door to the supply room. "It was just an odd feeling I got when I saw this woman-"

"Here," he said and took the compression bandage from her. "I'll wrap it."

"Alright," Adriana agreed as he walked and she limped into the closest room with a chair and she sat.

"What did she look like?" the Joker asked while going to the sink to wash his hands.

"I didn't see her whole face, she was wearing a mask," Adriana said. "She had red lipstick, really long brown hair, she was slim....dark brown eyes."