Chapter 62

The daylight hitting Adriana's eyelids woke her. As she opened her eyes slowly, she saw an arm removing the trash can from the table in front of the window, which allowed a very thin ray of daylight to pass and hit her face. Feeling herself moving in slow motion, one of her hands slid along the mattress and up to her face to cover her eyes. She was laying on her stomach with the side of her face against a pillow.

"I apologize for waking you, miss," she heard a voice say. Her head was throbbing, and his voice sounded very loud.

"Where am I?" she asked and sat up with great difficulty.

"You are at-" she heard the man say and then he stopped speaking. She rubbed her eyes until she could stop squinting and saw the older well-dressed man in front of her staring up at the ceiling. "The residence of Mr. Bruce Wayne."

"Oh..." Adriana said, not remembering coming to Bruce's penthouse at all. She looked around, not seeing him. "Is he here?"

"Mr. Wayne left for work," the man said, still looking upwards at the ceiling.

Adriana thought it was strange that he was staring at the ceiling and then she realized that the blankets were down around her hips and her entire upper body was exposed. Quickly, she grabbed the pillow behind her and held it over her chest.

"I'm sorry..." she said and he finally looked at her. "I'm just...a bit hungover."

"Not to worry," he said. "Mr. Wayne has filled me in."

"I'm..Adriana Navarro," she spoke, her own voice making her head throb even more. But she wanted to be polite. "Bruce's..friend."

"Yes," he told her. "I have heard a great deal about you. My name is Alfred Pennyworth, I work for Mr. Wayne."

"Oh.." Adriana replied. She knew about him. "Nice to meet you."

"Can I get you anything, Ms. Navarro?" he asked politely, in his charming accent.

"Um...something for headaches if you have it..." she said.

"Right away," he said before leaving.

Adriana hated that she couldn't remember anything. All she knew was that she was naked and in Bruce's bed and had come over drunk. She remembered tequila and a cab...

Part of her was concerned that she and Bruce had slept together and that she had forgotten it all. But an even bigger part of her was worried that maybe she had told him too much. Too much about Shade..the Joker..Mateo...

Alfred returned with two pills and a glass of water on a tray for her.

"Thanks.." she said before taking the pills with one hand still holding the pillow over herself. "What's that?"

"Mr. Wayne thought you may need something to wear," Alfred answered, noticing Adriana looking at a set of shopping bags and boxes on a chair in the room.

"Right.." Adriana said, vaguely remembering the chill on the air as she stepped into the cab in nothing but a robe and slippers.

Through the thin opening between the drapes over the windows, Adriana could see that it was snowing heavily. The sky was extremely bright, but the snow was coming down hard.

"Ahh..yes, and the blizzard has begun," Alfred said.

"Yes," Adriana said, trying to scan Alfred's memories..

.

"Would you mind? I need to go in to work and she had  far too much to drink last night," Bruce told Alfred. "Just make sure she's okay."