Chapter 90

"Sorry I told him, but Gordon was going to find out anyway," DeMarco said to Damien as they left the precinct. "Now we're both out of the job..."

"Speak for yourself," Damien said. "I'm going to find out who this bitch is and when I do, trust me, I'll be back in there. Might even get promoted to detective."

"Ricard, this is stupid," DeMarco said. "No offence."

"None taken," Damien said. "It's the best use of my time right now."

"He's going on trial tomorrow and in a few weeks max they will execute him," DeMarco explained. "No one will care who he was fucking-"

"But what if the son of a bitch escapes again? What if the gets sentenced to Arkham for the rest of his days? He will just escape again," Damien said. "And when he does...we will be the ones with the ball in our court-"

"Maybe, man but-" DeMarco interrupted.

"But, nothing," Damien said. "I am going to find her."
.

.

.

Adriana left the guest room in Bruce's penthouse that night at almost one in the morning. She went into the kitchen after waking with an intense craving for chocolate. She opened the refrigerator and saw a large glass bowl filled with chocolate pudding.

"Thank you, God," she said and pulled out the bowl.

"You're up late," Bruce said and walked into the kitchen.

"You too," she said and pulled a smaller glass bowl out of the cupboard.

"Can't sleep?" he smiled and walked over to her.

"Woke up with the biggest craving for chocolate," she said. "And you?"

"I've been up working," he said. "Have eight meetings tomorrow. I needed to prepare."

"Eight meetings, that's kinda insane." she laughed and filled the smaller bowl. When she was done Bruce covered the larger bowl and put it back into the refrigerator for her.

"Beginning of the year is usually pretty crazy," he said. "It'll calm down by next month."

"Good," she smiled and ate a huge spoonful of the pudding.

"Thank you for agreeing to stay here," Bruce said. "And for agreeing to be essentially babysat by Alfred. It gives me peace of mind knowing that you're safe."

Momentarily, she thought of the fact that she had already tricked Alfred with her phone recording so that she could sneak out earlier.

"Well, the food is top notch," she laughed. "This pudding makes me want to stay here forever."

"If that's the case, I'll tell my chef to bulk order the Godiva he uses," Bruce smiled.

"Please do," she joked and then sighed. "I guess I also couldn't sleep too well because I'm thinking about tomorrow. The trial starts."

"The entire city is on edge," he told her. "Whatever happens, justice will be served."

.

.

.

"The man sitting before you, is a criminal. This is a unique case. Unique because I don't need to tell you that this man is a criminal. Chances are that at some point in time, you have turned on your television to see his face. By now, we have all seen news footage reporting on his various crimes. If you have lived in Gotham for any significant period of time, it's likely that you have seen some of the damage that he's done to our city first hand.

In the next week, yes, one week, I will do my best to present to you the immense, substantial, body of evidence that condemns this man. I will aim to be thorough, to the very best of my abilities...but as we all know by now, this man's crimes are countless. I intend to prove to you that, not only has he committed acts of murder of first and second degree, assault, kidnapping, arson, homicide, voluntary and involuntary manslaughter, burglary, theft, larceny, obstruction of the police, escape from police custody, murder of officers of the law and politicians, countless weapon offenses and extortion...but that he is  fully responsible for all of these things.

His legal team's plea for insanity, is, for lack of a better word...a joke. He should not be exempt from full criminal punishment. This man does not act randomly or without thinking. He is an extremely precise, calculating, scheming, cunning and artful criminal with a plan. His acts are not the acts of a mentally insane man. But the acts of a man with hatred for humanity and the desire to destroy others. He is fully capable of distinguishing right from wrong, as I will prove to you.

It is my greatest hope that I can not only present to you everyone here, that he does not need more rehabilitation. Rehabilitation is for the sick...the mentally ill. The facilities that we have in Gotham, where millions of your tax dollars are spent annually, are in place to recuperate those who can benefit from psychiatric treatments. It is my duty to Gotham to make sure that no more of our time, money, and resources are wasted. It is my duty to not only prove his wrongdoings but to protect citizens like yourselves from criminals such as this man.

I ask that you listen carefully and pay close attention to all of the information that I will present to you, even though I know that it will be difficult. Difficult because of the enormity of the body of evidence but also difficult that you, the jury, must sit through such dreadful and horrendous close examination of this man's crimes. But as long as you all are convinced beyond the shadow of a doubt that this man is guilty, which I'm sure you will be, and you all reach a unanimous conclusion quickly, which I'm sure you will, then my work and your patience with having to go through this will not be in vain," Brian McCaster, the District Attorney, said to the jury as his opening statement.