Chapter 95

"Seriously, it's insane," Harri said to Adriana over the phone. "But I guess it makes sense..I mean the man is clearly insane."

"Mhm.." Adriana said. 

Harri, and everyone else around the country was still shocked by the verdict. It had been six days since the trial ended. The Joker was still being held in police custody and the sentencing wasn't for another week. 

"I guess this means Gotham is going to be a lot safer," Harri said. "I mean they are going to be watching him like hawks."

"Right.." Adriana said, absently.

"So I was thinking..."Harri said, now sounding excited. "I should come visit you again! I want to come tomorrow-"

"What?" Adriana asked. She was still staying with Bruce. "I...I don't know..right now really isn't good-"

"Yes it is!" Harri said. "We can shop for a dress for my wedding-"

"I thought you had one-" Adriana said.

"I meant for you!" Harri said. "I want all my bridesmaids to wear whatever they want."

"Oh...okay but I really-" Adriana started to say.

"Oh, gotta go, I think I'm burning my bratwurst," Harri said. "Call you back in a little bit."

Harri hung up and Adriana sat her phone down on the couch beside Bruce's laptop.

"Everything alright?" he asked, returning to the couch with a scotch for himself and lemonade for her.

"My sister wants to come visit me tomorrow," she said. "Which is obviously a bad idea. I'm going to have to call her back in a few minutes to tell her not to come. I know she and my parents have been worried about me but she was kind of pushy, she wants to come see me. It's not going to work unless..."

"Unless, you go home?" he asked and sat.

"Well yeah," Adriana said. "Everyone's so on edge about the resolution of the case... the police are watching everything closely. I'm sure it's safe for me to go home."

"I don't know, Adriana," Bruce said. "I'd rather you stay here until I can do something about him to make sure you're safe."

"Do something about him?" she asked. 

 "The jury's decision is not something I can accept," he said plainly.

"Bruce...that's...you can't do that," she said. "I mean...murder is still illegal even if it's him-"

"Vigilantism is illegal too," he reminded her. "And I will continue that. Some things just have to be done."

"This is crazy," she said. "You shouldn't even be thinking like that-"

"Arkham isn't prepared to handle someone like him, we've seen it," he said. "He had access to outside communication, interaction with others, given therapy sessions, and was not as medicated as he should have been. If he's sent to the prison, most likely they will keep him strapped to a bed and heavily medicated 24/7 to avoid having to deal with him. In which case, he won't be able to plan or execute anything. However, if they send him to Arkham, anything is possible. It's possible they could treat him at Arkham for a while until they determine he is fit for the prison. But who knows how long that could take."

Adriana leaned back, a bit breathless. It sounded like torture. Imagining him strapped down and medicated was painful.

"In fact," Bruce went on. "The only reason the sentencing is postponed and is taking so long is because they're trying to weigh their options. To see which of these places could handle him better. Arkham has lost him, he's broken out before...but they have experience with him and have improved security over the past few months. The prison has little experience with him but would be cheaper. And likely more effective. Maximum security with all the same sedatives that Arkham has, however they will use them more liberally on him, I assume."