Chapter 153

Bruce and Harri glanced at each other before looking back out onto the water. The boat began to rock more aggressively and Bruce ran to grab his binoculars. Harri was stuck in a trance and barely noticed him leave. When he came back and leaned up to the window with his binoculars, she immediately tried to grab them from him.

"Wait!" he said, and she ignored him.

He let her have the binoculars for a few seconds before realizing he would have to go and find the other pair. 

"Harri-" he said and she handed them back to him.

"What are those lines and circles lighting up?" she asked Bruce before he could even pull the binoculars up to his eyes to get visual. 

"I don't know," he replied with his best guess. "I don't know...it appears to be some type of...a circuit board."

He watched the olive green lines and circle patterns glow with each bolt of lighting. Suddenly, more than fifty ferocious bolts of lightning in a row hit the top of the floating dome. The sound of thunder shook the yacht violently. Bruce heard Harri scream and drop to her knees and saw her place her hands over her ears. He remained standing and went back to looking ahead at the spectacle. Once the bolts stopped a bright light shone up into the heavens from the top center of the dome.

It looked like the most potent searchlight Bruce had ever seen. Strong enough to reach into space. The area around them was so well lit, it looked like there was daylight again. The seas calmed and the crashing waves and rain stopped suddenly. Bruce wondered if any freight ships in the area could see the light.

Bruce squatted in front of Harri who still had her eyes shut with hands over her ears. He took her hands down.

"It's okay," he said. "It stopped. Open your eyes."

She opened them and looked around at the bright cockpit room, her eyes squinting from how brightly lit up the space from the light outside. Bruce helped her to her feet, and she looked out at the white beam of light coming from the rock. All of the soft green lines in the dome were lit up. 

"This can't be real..." Harri murmured.

"It is.." Bruce said, the excitement in his voice obvious.

"Okay....okay..." Harri said, her voice shaking. "So...this time machine thing might be real."

"Yes," Bruce answered and finally began to smile. Harri still looked serious and afraid.

"And you're going to figure out how to operate this thing..." Harri said. "And bring Adriana back?"

"Apparently, it can take me to the past," Bruce told her confidently, his voice sounding much different than it had in weeks. "And I will use it to change everything that I did. I can save her."

Harri was speechless. Bruce went over to the controls and the setup of screens and began to work.

"What are you doing now?" she asked.

"We're going to move closer," he said. "It's much safer now...not too close but we need to see it better. The storm has eased up. I'll anchor when we are closer."

Harri stood behind him and watched as he moved closer to the dome. He stopped the boat when they were 100 yards away.  The brilliant light was nearly blinding.

"Harri," Bruce said and reached beside himself to grab her arm without looking away from the machine. "I'm going to go over and figure out how it works. The storm has stopped and the visibility is perfect."

"Oh Bruce..." Harri said. "This is..."

"A lot, I know," Bruce said and stood up quickly. "I'll just swim over to check it out and I'll come right back."