Chapter 130

Bruce sat in his office after Sidi left, contemplating what she had just told him. Adriana's silence about her health struggle..night sweats, nightmares, extremely high fevers. She had kept it all from him and he now knew that it was time for her to finally part with her gift.

.

.

.

"Since we won't be proceeding with the laser treatment any further, instead of using the enzyme cream to dissolve the scar tissue, you can just use Vaseline," the doctor told the Joker. "I assume your scarring won't be reduced by any more than 15 to 20%. You will essentially look the same. Apply the Vaseline with clean hands as often as necessary. Apart from Vaseline application, do your best not to touch the skin over your scars at all."

"Gotcha," the Joker said the doctor.

"Any questions?" The doctor asked.

"Sure," the Joker said.

"Ask away."

"Scissors," the Joker said and held out a long lock of his hair. The hair was beginning to irritate him to no end. He could feel dreadlocks that had formed in the back.

"Of course," Doctor Kapoor replied. "You can return to your room for a break for lunch for about an hour before we begin physical therapy. I will let Adriana know to bring you some hair scissors."

.

.

.

"What is it?" the Joker asked Adriana as she placed a plate of food in front of him.

"You've never had stroganoff?" she asked him.

"No," he said and took a bite.

She watched him try it.

"Not bad," he said as he began to eat rapidly.

"Scissors, as requested," Adriana said and set a pair of hair scissors beside his plate.

He nodded and continued eating.

"You know," she said. "When you get out of here, if you want to try to live a normal life somewhere in the world where no one can recognize you and you want to live amongst people in society.. "

He raised both eyebrows and looked up at her. She had something to tell him.

"It might be a bit easier to adapt if you learn how to use a few words," she said to him. "The words are please and thank you. "

"Thank you," he said in a monotone voice and glanced at the scissors.

"You're welcome," she said to him.

At that moment her phone rang in her pocket and she pulled it out. Bruce. She turned away from the Joker and walked out of the room and into the hallway before putting the phone up to her ear.

"Bruce," she said that she picked up the phone.

"Hello, my love," Bruce said to her.

"How is everything?" She asked him.

"Good," he said to her with a strange pause.

"Sweetheart?" she said into the silence.

"Adriana, I'm sorry but I have to work late tonight. I know I said that I would only be working a half-day as it turns out...I'm going to have to go to a work dinner and I don't know how long it will go. "

"Well," Adriana said with a bit of relief. "At least it's not another business trip. I can wait up a few hours. "

"No", Bruce insisted. "Don't wait up. I'll probably be back after midnight. "