Chapter 158

The tremor in Bruce's hand as he reached for the doorknob to his bedroom was not something he could control. He turned the knob  with his slippery sweaty palm and pushed the door open.

She was on the bed , one of her feet elevated on a pillow, her ankle wrapped. Her phone was on her stomach and her eyes were closed. The back of her right hand was resting on her forehead. Bruce stepped into the room and walked over to her, his arms hanging limply at his sides. She heard his footsteps and moved her hand, her eyes opening and looking straight into his.

As soon as the eye contact was made, he fell to his knees at the bed beside her.

She sat up quickly. "Bruce are you alright-" she asked as she watched him fall.

He began to nod quickly, feeling as though he could not utter a word. Her voice filling the room was something he had never fully appreciated before, and now it was overwhelmingly beautiful.

"Adriana," he said and crawled the last few steps over to the bedside. "I'm fine."

Forcibly composed, he took her hands. The warmth of her skin made her even more real. He could not believe it.

"Oh..okay.." she said, holding her forehead again and laying back onto the pillows. "What are you doing down there?"

"Just..." he was unable to think coherently.

Bruce released her hands and gave her a firm squeeze on the thigh, the calf, forearm.  His hands roamed her limbs, squeezing everywhere he could. He took one of her hands and looked at each finger, his lips moving quietly whispering.

"Bruce.." she asked, looking at him confused. "Are you counting my fingers?"

"No," he answered, immediately lying. "Just..making sure.."

"Making sure what?" she asked as he began to lightly press on and squeeze her abdomen and then her breasts.

"You're here....you're real..." he asked, squeezing her chest again. "Real.."

"Real?" she asked, touching his wrists as he kept squeezing with a breast in each hand. "What? You think I have implants or something?"

He looked into her eyes. 

"Bruce?" she asked.

"Adriana.." he murmured weakly.

"Yes?" she asked as his hands moved to her face.

"Can I..." he began to ask nervously. "Can I kiss you? Please?"

Adriana began to laugh. It was the sweetest sound Bruce had ever heard.

"Bruce," she laughed. "Of course, why are you asking permission?"

He looked at her in a way she had never seen him look at her before. An aching desperation, an incredible appreciation, a deep longing.

"Kiss me," she said to him and gently grabbed the lapel of his suit to pull him down.

She noticed that he was moving slowly, cautiously, and hesitantly. His lips approached hers and it made her feel like he was moving to kiss her in a way that man that had never been kissed would. His lips touched hers softly and delicately. After a single kiss, he dropped his face onto her chest. She held him with one arm around his shoulders and one in his hair.

"Sweetheart," she whispered into the dark silky locks of hair against her lips. "You're acting really weird." 

He let out a single unintelligible sound and she continued to hold him until he was ready to lift his head again. Once he looked into her eyes again, he needed another kiss. They began to kiss deeply, and Bruce wrapped his arms under her torso and pulled her to him tightly. Then he pushed his face into her neck, and she wrapped both arms around his shoulders to avoid falling off of the bed.