Chapter 68

"So, I guess he's already moved on," Adriana told Harri as she used the leg press at the gym.

"He's spoiled," Adriana heard Harri tell her though her earphones. "He's used to getting whatever he wants from people. I mean...he's a rich kid."

"He's never seemed spoiled to me," Adriana said. "He's a hard worker..he does a lot for others. I think that it's just really bothering him that he can't get the information that he needs."

"Yeah, which you still won't tell me exactly what that is," Harri said.

"It's private stuff," Adriana sighed before stopping the press since her legs were burning. "Maybe I should apologize to him."

"Listen," Harri said, her tone very serious. "You really want to apologize to a guy that ghosted you and got a new chick five minutes later because you wouldn't use your abilities to give him information?"

"But, Harri-" Adriana said, repositioning the earphone, since Harri was yelling a bit.

"He's an asshole, and I'll leave it at that," Harri said. "I won't sit here and listen to you defend him."

"I'm going to hang up now," Adriana said. They both sounded angry.

"Ya," Harri said and hung up.

Adriana got off of the machine. She hated this. Her life was a wreck. She turned around though and saw a familiar face. It was Brake. 

Adriana wasn't sure if Brake had seen her looking at him, so she scanned his thoughts. He had. She realized that if she hadn't stared at him for so long, it was likely that he would not have recognized her. Brake began to walk over.

"Hey," he said and tossed his small towel on his shoulder. He was waiting to hear her voice for confirmation that she wasn't just someone with a similar face. "Do I know you?"

"Hey," she said back. "You do."

"Look at you," he said.

"Yeah," she said.

"Should I..." he said, pointing behind him, meaning he was wondering if he should leave her alone. It was a bit awkward...knowing that they both were working for the worst criminal in Gotham's history. Now they were together in broad daylight, interacting like normal law abiding citizens.

"No, it's okay," she said and started to walk. He walked beside her.

They walked quietly for a while, no destination in mind. They stopped once they reached the enormous glass windows behind the pool. There they were alone, and it was quiet.

"You did the lab break job, right?" Brake said. 

"Yeah," Adriana said. "Success." 

The Joker had gotten a chemical to use in another deadly poison. 

Adriana hadn't been able to stop thinking about the fact that she was the one who was most at fault for the Joker succeeding it having it. She had gotten the blueprints. She picked up the case and climbed the ladder in the elevator shaft. She had kicked the Batman down. 

"Not exactly," Brake said. "The substance needed constant refrigeration."

"What?" she asked. "I mean...we removed it from a fridge but-"

"Yeah," Brake said. "It lost potency. Needed to be used cold and straight away I guess. At least that's my theory."

Adriana let out a sigh of relief.

"You...know a lot about chemistry then," Adriana said.

"Yup," Brake said, seeing her relax. "Can't say I'm sad to see him end up with nothing."